C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n

Start from the beginning

“Well that’s boring.” The Alpha dismisses. “Why don’t you come help me? I can show you the baby’s room.”

“I think I’d rather sit in on the meeting, Alpha.” Rae says quietly with an apologetic smile.

Alpha Julie purses her lip for a second before sighing heavily, “Fine. Kendrick is up in his office. I assume you know the way, Rae?”

Rae doesn’t miss her friendly tone disappear and feels her nerves peak, “Yes, Alpha.”

“Well head up then. You know how he hates waiting.”

Rae begins dragging Colton towards the stairs with sweaty palms and a churning stomach. She doesn’t know exactly what this meeting is about but if Alpha Julie’s behavior is anything to go on, it can’t be good. Deciding to at least not act as freaked out as she is she stands up a bit straighter and wipes all expression from her face. She needs to just buck up and face this, Alpha or not she’s not just going to sit by and let him talk to her mate without her.

It’s just not happening.

“You good?” Colton asks lowly in her ear as they reach the top of the staircase.

Rae nods with a steady exhale, “Yup.”

Colton nods reluctantly before grabbing the doorknob. Rae initially is shocked. No knock, no greeting, nothing. He just walks into the room like he owns the damn place. Rae’s jaw unlatches and she gapes at him but he doesn’t see it. His eyes are already narrowed and cold as they zero in on the Alpha behind his desk.

“I see…”Alpha Kendrick says into the phone pressed to his ear. His eyes lift up to take in both Colton and herself with slight surprise before they wash off all emotion. Sitting back in his chair the Alpha’s gaze ever leaves them as he continues to talk on the phone, “And you spoke to Vince? Okay. Okay. Well keep looking. I don’t want him losing the trail. Alright.”

Alpha Kendrick puts down the phone without so much as a ‘goodbye’ and leans forward in his chair. Entwining his hands before him on his desk the Alpha’s eyes take in their clasped hand with narrow eyes. Rae stumbles a bit, too interested in what the Alpha is doing and doesn’t notice the chair right in front of her. Rubbing her thigh she blushes red and quickly moves to sit in the chair.

“Well this is a surprise.” Alpha Kendrick says finally once they’re both settled before him. “I didn’t expect to be seeing you Rae.”

“I-I wanted to come with.”

“Didn’t I make it clear I just wanted to speak to you, Colton?”

Colton’s anger is immediately visible from his seat beside her. His arms flex and his hands curls into fists on the arm rests. Rae isn’t touching him anymore so she can’t really soothe him. Instead she just watches as he coldly smirks at the Alpha who looks highly annoyed by her presence.

“What you want and what’s happening are two very different things, Kendrick.”

The Alpha narrows his eyes, “Call me Alpha, Colton. I’ve earned it.”

“Then call me Beta. I earned my position just as rightfully as you won yours.”

Alpha Kendrick huffs a laugh before sitting back in his chair, “Alright then, Beta, did I not make it clear that this was a private meeting?”

“A meeting about what exactly?” Colton asks directly. “Maybe if you told me what exactly it is you want to discuss I can judge how private it needs to be.”

The Alpha’s eyes move to Rae for a split second, “I think you know exactly the subject of our talk, Beta.”

“Then she has ever right to be here, don’t you think?”