The classroom floor had become springily mossy and trees were growing out of it; their leafy branches fanned across the ceiling and windows, so that the room was full of slanting shafts of soft, dappled, green light. The students who had already arrived were sitting on the earthy floor with their backs resting against tree trunks or boulders, and Clara knew that Luna would love Divination even more now. In the middle of this classroom stood Firenze, their new teacher since Trelawney had been sacked. Clara took a seat next to Draco and waved quietly to him before getting a rude look from Pansy. 

"Professor Dumbledore has kindly arranged this classroom for us," said Firenze, calling the attention to him, "in imitation of my natural habitat. I would have preferred to teach you in the Forbidden Forest, which was — until Monday — my home . . . but this is not possible." 

"Please — er — sir —" said Parvati breathlessly, raising her hand, "why not? We've been in there with Hagrid, we're not frightened!" 

"It is not a question of your bravery," said Firenze, "but of my position. I can no longer return to the forest. My herd has banished me."

"Herd?" said Lavender in a confused voice, and Clara knew she was thinking of cows. What an idiot. "What — oh!" Comprehension dawned on her face as she finally came to an earth-shattering realization. "There are more of you?" she said, stunned.

"Did Hagrid breed you, like the thestrals?" asked Dean eagerly. Clara snorted but quickly froze after Firenze sent a mad look her way. Firenze turned his head very slowly to face Dean, who seemed to realize at once that he had said something very offensive. "I didn't — I meant — sorry," he finished in a hushed voice. 

"Centaurs are not the servants or playthings of humans," said Firenze quietly. 

There was a pause, then Parvati raised her hand again. "Please, sir . . . why have the other centaurs banished you?" 

"Because I have agreed to work for Professor Dumbledore," said Firenze. "They see this as a betrayal of our kind." There was an awkward silence and Clara poked a Gryffindor in front of her who moved immediately once Clara jabbed her thumb backwards, ordering the girl to switch places with her. Clara was now seated next to Harry, who scowled at her.

"Let us begin," said Firenze. He swished his long palomino tail, raised his hand toward the leafy canopy overhead then lowered it slowly, and as he did so, the light in the room dimmed, so that they now seemed to be sitting in a forest clearing by twilight, and stars emerged upon the ceiling. There were oohs and gasps, and Ron said audibly, "Blimey!" 

"Lie back upon the floor," said Firenze in his calm voice, "and observe the heavens. Here is written, for those who can see, the fortune of our races."

Clara lay on the floor and turned to Harry. "So are you ready to confess yet?" she said, wiggling her eyebrows. Firenze continued to ramble on about the stars, but Clara tuned him out.

"Give it up."

"Never."

Harry turned towards her with his eyebrows furrowed, and readjusted his glasses. Clara smiled sarcastically at the boy before tapping his nose with his finger.

"What was that for?"

"You're gonna tell me eventually."

"That has nothing to do with-"

"Shush!" Clara said, laughing a little, "I'm trying to pay attention, Scarhead."

"Do not call me that."

"Aww is little Potter mad?"

"I know what you're doing, getting me mad isn't going to make me spill anything."