♡︎Chapter one♡︎

"There's no way she's gay

"There's no way she's gay."
"Look. I've seen lesbians before, and that's a lesbian."
"But how can you be sure?"
"She has a carabiner clip on her belt, for Christ's sake."
Agents Elle Greenaway and Derek Morgan sat at their desks, ogling the BAU's latest recruit. "Fine. If I go over there and get her number, you owe me 20 bucks," Derek challenged Elle. "Ok, but if she says no, you owe me 20 bucks," Elle responded. They shook hands.

Derek strutted over to where the new agent was unpacking her things from a battered cardboard box. Agents Penelope Garcia and Jennifer Jareau joined Elle at her desk. "Whatcha lookin at?" Penelope asked. "I bet Derek 20 bucks he couldn't get that girl's number. I'm pretty sure she's gay," Elle told her. JJ perched herself at the edge of Elle's desk, staring intently at the conversation that was now happening between Derek and the new recruit. "Well, I hope for your sake that she's gay. She's really pretty," JJ commented. "I don't have a crush on her, I just don't want to lose 20 dollars," Elle replied coolly. But secretly she did agree with JJ, the new recruit was really pretty.

Derek and the new girl were talking animatedly. Elle couldn't hear what they were saying, but it didn't look good for her. The new girl ripped a corner off a piece of paper that was sitting on her desk and scribbled something on it. She gave the scrap to Derek. "Shit," Elle muttered. Derek gave the girl a playful salute, and started strutting back to where the girls sat, a triumphant grin on his face. He waved the folded slip of paper in Elle's face. "It would appear that somebody owes me 20 dollars," he boasted. Elle groaned and pulled a bill out of her wallet. "Enjoy," she grumbled. Derek waltzed out of the bullpen.

"Damnit, I really thought I was spot on with that," Elle told Garcia and JJ. "Maybe she's bi?" JJ suggested. Elle visibly perked up at this suggestion. "Yeah, maybe." Suddenly Derek stormed back into the bullpen, striding towards Elle's desk. "What's going on?" She asked. He didn't say a word, just slapped down 40 dollars and the slip of paper the new girl had given him. As he walked away, Elle unfolded the piece of paper, and the beating of her heart quickend when she read it. The note read: "Sorry, but I'm not into guys. :)" Elle looked over at the new recruit in wonder. The woman saw her staring and waved at her. Elle waved back. For some reason she couldn't explain, Elle felt that something wonderful was beginning.

♡︎♡︎♡︎

The team sat at the round table in the briefing room, awaiting the instruction of their leader, Aaron Hotchner. After a few minutes, he walked in with the new recruit. "Everyone, this is our newest member, SSA Ivy Adams," he told the team. The team mumbled their welcomes in return. Ivy was tall, with wavy brown hair that was pulled up into a tight ponytail. Her eyes were a pretty shade of hazel. Elle liked the look of her very much. Aaron pointed at each member of the team in turn and introduced them to Ivy. Then Ivy sat down in the empty chair next to Elle. Penelope got up from the table and switched on the TV behind her.

"Alrighty team, this one's local, and it's a pretty nasty case from the looks of it," Penelope said. The screen showed the bodies of 4 different brunette women, all cut at the throat, and all of them with the ring finger of their left hand sliced off. "Well I think it's pretty clear what the stressor was," Ivy announced, her voice filled with authority. The team turned to look at her. Morgan raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"
"Well, the finger that the wedding ring goes on was cut clean off," Ivy started. "Also, all the women were brunette. Clearly, his wife, or wife-to-be, was a brunette, and something happened to her, or between them. The unsub is using these women as a surrogate."
"I have a feeling you're right. Thank you Ivy," Hotch commented. Morgan looked annoyed. "All of these women were killed within 3 weeks. The cooling-off period wasn't very long," Garcia remarked. "Yes, and that's why it's important we leave soon," Hotch said, standing up from the table.