"For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world-" I heard his voice cut off as I started to walk towards him. I walked silently under the bridge. I sat next to him as he placed his guitar on the other side of him.

"Hi." He said with a bright smile.

"Hi." I responded.

"How are you doing?" He asked me.

"Good." I said."I heard you singing." I added.

"I know." he blushed.

"Care to continue?" I asked.

He nodded and started to play the guitar. We sat there for a good hour. Hearing him play this and that on his guitar soothed me. After he was done with his 15'th song. he decided to place his guitar at his side.

"So, How old are you?" He asked.

"I'm 24." I responded lightly.

"I'm 25."He responded. "So whats your life like?"

I looked down before answering his question. Questioning if I should trust him or not.

"Tell me about yours first."

"I have a Newborn daughter named Frances, Me and my wife are having some problems so I'm staying at the places I lived in when I was a teenager. That's about it. I'm in a band called Nirvana with my friends Krist and Dave.I don't think you know my name. It's Kurt." He said and smiled at the end. I looked around the bridge. There was graffitti everythere. One stood out to me, One that said "Kurt smells like teen spirit."

"Hey Kurt. That spray painting says 'Kurt smells like teen spirit'" I said.

"Yeah, I know. Wrote a song about that. You never told me about you."

"Tell me about your parents first."

"My parents split up when I was 9. Thats about it." He said honestly.

"Okay, so I live in a beat up 3 room apartment across town, I moved away from an abusive father and toxic relationship. I have a dog named Hendric, My mom died of a heroin overdose when I was 7. I play guitar. That's about it."

"You got any friends?" He asked me.

"Nah." I said honestly.

"Now you do." He replied. I looked at him confused.

"I'm your friend, Silly." He replied giving me a goofy smile.

And I giggled for the first time since my mom died. I saw the figure of a woman in the distance. She came closer and I saw she was holding a tiny baby, She had bleach blonde hair and was wearing a white slip. She stood silently infront of me and Kurt.

"So is this who you've been sneaking off with?"She uttered looking at me disgusted.

"Courtney, Leave her alone. She's a good person in this fucked up world. Unlike you." He said muttering the last part.

"What'd you say?!?" She said suddenly exploding. Frances or what i guessed to be Frances started to cry.

"I'm going to go home." I said soothingly. The baby stopped crying.

"She's just a friend!"I heard Kurt slightly raise his voice. I wrote down my address on a piece of paper i found in my purse. I handed it to kurt and he stuffed it in his pocket as I began sprinting home.

My dog looked up from his resting place on the floor. I set down my purse in the dining room that was functioning as a bedroom/ living space. I took off my day clothes and slipped into a night gown. I sat on the couch and flipped the channels on the tv until a episode of "Hey Arnold!" was playing on my small television. I sat there with a few episodes. It was pitch black in the sky. My dogs head rested in my lap as I sat silently. And then there was a knock. I looked through the peephole to find a very tired Kurt. I opened the door and grabbed Hendric's collar.

"He doesn't take well to strangers." I explained as kurt stepped in the door.

"That's ok. I don't take well to dogs either." He said.

"You can take a seat on the couch." I said motioning
my hands toward the sofa.

"Oh sure. My feet hurt." He said as he sat down. I sat next to him letting my dog come between us because he was married. Wait, Ruby why does it matter if he's married, you dont have feelings for him. I was staring out the window and Kurt had his eyes glued to the television.

"So you're probably wondering why I'm here."He stated.

"Yeah sort of. It is 11 pm."I said while glancing at the clock.

'Well me and Court got into a huge fight and she said I couldnt sleep there. And I didn't feel like sleeping under the bridge again. So since you gave me your address I decided to come over and see if I could sleep on the floor or something."He finished his speech and looked over at me.

"You can sleep on the couch. I've got work tomorrow so if I'm not here when you wake up thats why." I said as I got up. I walked into my living space and got him an extra pillow and blanket.

"Thank you ."I heard as I walked into the room. My dog was laying in his lap. I put the pillow and blanket on the couch.

"No problem. I mean it's what friends do, right?" I said. 'Friends.' sounds good. Never really had a real friend.

"Can he sleep with me?" I was snapped back to reality

"Oh sure."I said as I made my way to the lightswitch. Kurt was getting comfortable on the sofa. I switched the light off so only the blinking light from the tv filled the room.

"Goodnight Ruby." I heard Kurt say as he flicked off the tv.

"'Night Kurt."I said as I yawned.

I walked into my room and turned off the light. I knew this room in the dark like the back of my hand. I snuck into my bed not needing to. No one to wake. I slid under the blanket realizing how hot it was. I got up and got Kurt a sheet. I threw it at him in the dark.

"Thaanks!"I heard a slightly goofy voice say.

"Noo Prooblem."I said mimicking him.

I slunk back to my room and peeled my blanket back. I slid into my bed and covered up with my sheet. Night time was my prime time for thinking. Maybe I do like Kurt. But just as a friend? I don't know Ruby. The way you feel butterflies in your stomach every time you hear his voice. His goofy smile. All of my thoughts were interrupted when the train of sleep hit me like a ton of bricks.Goodnight my new friend. Goodnight Kurt and Hendric. Goodnight.

***Two thousand words my OCD is happy. Anyways continuing soon. Just to point out Kurts birthday is tomorrow. He'd be 48.***