twenty six

The gym was bustling with excitement, with Yeoljeong students buzzing around like bees from flower to flower, except in this case was to each other. Some were boasting about how they'll trash the Imoogi players the moment the timer starts, while others were worried about how they'll fare during the match. Meanwhile, I'm having a mix of emotions.

It's been two months since my injury, and I don't think less than a month's worth of training here will make up for anything. Nervous? Definitely. Afraid? Of course. Determined? Maybe. But one thing I'm sure of: I'm facing this head-on.

A bottled energy drink came into my view, snapping me out of my anxious thoughts. "Relax, it's only a friendly match," Haknyeon assured as he took a sip of his beverage. Easy for him to say, he wasn't the one who had to take a break from the sport.

"It hasn't even started and you're drinking it already?" I gestured to his half-finished bottle, while he shrugged in return. "It helps get me pumped."

Before I got a chance to answer, a commotion can be heard from the reception area. Just a second later, a group of people started piling into the gym, donning their green jackets with a snake logo on the back. Ah yes, they're here.

"Charyeot! Kyeongnet!" Coach Lee shouted as all of us got to our feet and bowed, exchanging greetings with the opposing club. "We're so glad to have you here at our training centre."

The gym roared with applause as the other club settled into a corner of the place. I examined them from the far end of the room, nervousness filling in me again. Luckily, I don't recognise any faces, but do they recognise me?

"Let's do a short briefing before we get started," Coach Lee announced as all of us gathered in front of the two coaches. After going over the rules, bouts and a constant reminder that this is a friendly match, we split back into our corners as the first few players put on their gear. Lucky for me, I won't be competing until later.

Haknyeon and I took a seat on a bench in front of the centre arena as I scanned around for Donghyuck. After our amendment that night, our training was brought to another level of smoothness in terms of productiveness. He did indeed try complimenting our progress, but it got so awkward to the point that he just went back to giving brutal remarks. Even Haknyeon found that more comfortable than his kinds words.

But there was still this barrier between us that seemed unruly to break down, and that was the only other thing that made his presence intimidating.

Haknyeon seemed to notice what I was doing as he commented, "You guys seem rather close these days. Glad to see that things are going well."

I flashed a flat smile. "At the moment. He's still keeping me on my toes." He patted my shoulder and replied, "Slowly. Friendships don't forge overnight."

---

"Next players, please get ready!" One of the yellow belts announced through a megaphone as the last few red belts stood up. I started trembling just by looking at them put on their guards. Another announcement was made, which was a reminder that the black belt matches were going to start soon. Which meant I was going to go up there soon.

Unknowingly, I heaved out a heavy sigh, slowly unzipping the bag that held my gear. I don't mind sparring within our club, but in front of others? I'm not prepared for that, ironically.

I felt someone scoot beside me as I started strapping on my shin guards. "Where were you? The black belt matches are starting soon," I said, thinking that the person beside me was Haknyeon, but a feminine voice made me shoot up in shock.