"i've been practicing all summer break," protested barty, he didn't sway regulus but he was glad that summer came sauntering down the hall, looking like she didn't have a care in the world.

"hey, reg," said summer, leaning her shoulder against the wall, "hi, crouch."

"hey, summer," said barty with a toothy grin that repulsed both prefects immensely, "you dating anyone this year?"

"no, and even if i was, you don't make the cut," said summer dismissively, regulus bowed his head to hide his grin that nearly broke out into laughter, "i'd date snape before i'd go near you. no offence, though."

"yeah, none taken," replied barty sourly, going to the back of the line to join his friends.

"you really told him," said regulus through a chuckle.

"he has a really bad vibe, don't you think?" asked summer to which regulus nodded, "he'll be a death eater, mark my words."

regulus said nothing in response. it would be a lie if regulus said it didn't interest him, the whole death eater cult movement. he doubt he'd make the cut, considering he didn't really believe in a muggleborn massacre and pureblood supremacy. he just found the whole thing interesting and fascinating, how one man can really persuade and threaten so many people into joining his army.

summer joined regulus at a desk, which he didn't mind, he'd rather her than barty or some other idiot. he figured she'd be a good desk partner considering she's intelligent and would be valuable in a team effort if they had to brew a potion together. regulus liked professor slughorn, he thought he was a little clueless a times but all in, he was a good professor and smart, just a bit ditsy and shallow when it came to that slug club of his, which regulus got an invite to every year.

"there's already a party scheduled this weekend, you coming?" whispered summer as they copied notes from the board.

"absolutely not," said regulus, his tone deadpan and certain.

"why not?" persisted summer in a frustrated voice.

"i don't want to," replied regulus, knowing that simply not wanting to was a perfectly acceptable reason.

"boring," huffed summer, she left it at that and got on with her work.

"mr black, i forgot to congratulate you on all your achievements this year," said professor slughorn, gesturing to the badges on regulus' robes before he could leave the classroom.

"oh, erm, thank you, sir," said regulus politely, smiling through the embarrassment of being singled out amongst his peers.

"i love when you get embarrassed," said summer once regulus was finally freed from the classroom and the two walked down the corridor together.

"yeah it's brilliant," replied regulus sarcastically, "i swear, i don't understand everyone's obsession with talking to me. i put this moody face on so people stay away from me."

"maybe smile once in a while, that would really throw them off," said summer, laughing at her own joke while regulus only grinned sarcastically in return.

by the end of the school day, regulus finally got some time in the library. he had decided to do something differently and venture down to the restricted section, always wondering what was so bad about it that it had to be secured away from pupils. it depended on how many people where around if regulus would go in or not. he could always come back another time to see if he could get in. regulus looked over his shoulder and saw that the coast was clear as he held the door handle to the restricted section. despite his deep curiosity, regulus didn't think going in before curfew was a good idea.

"just browsing, are we?" asked james who had come up behind regulus just as he turned back towards the restricted section.

"why are you everywhere?" asked regulus sourly, but james only grinned at him and winked, regulus felt mildly dazed at the action but jumped back into his normal self, "not that it's any of your business what i'm doing anyway."

"technically, it is," said james, leaning against on the bookshelves and pointed towards his head boy badge, "i'm kind of in charge of every student in the school."

"you're kind of an imbecile if you think you have any authority over me," said regulus, he gave james a hard stare before waking part him, unintentionally bumping his shoulder along the way.

james looked over his shoulder at the slytherin and grinned, subconsciously putting his hand on his shoulder where regulus had touched him momentarily. james brought out the map from the pocket of his robes, the contents still visible, he looked at the name he had been studying since sixth year. regulus black. he then closed the map with a mischief managed and went to a table where he could see a first year struggling with their work, wanting to help.