"How's Romeo?"

"He'll be fine. Was hit in the shoulder. Katherine payed for a doctor ta come check 'im out. Could 'ave been worse."

"Shouldn't have happened in the first place."

"Dere's nothing we could have done ta stop it." Jojo shot Race a look.

"Ya really believe that?" The boy sighed.

"'Bout as much as I believe I could have stopped Caz from being taken." It was quiet as both boys drank in the silence of the morning that they both craved and despised. 

"I'm going ta bed," Jojo finally said, laying back into his bed and pulling the blanket over him. 

"Is going fa a walk," Race said getting up. "I'll see ya later. Oh and Jojo, I'm glad yous alright."

"Thanks," the boy whispered, long after Race had exited the room, his words hanging in the air. 

"Amara?" The boy gasped. The girl in front of him looked horrible. She had dark circles under her eyes and her body practically sagged with exhaustion. 

"Jojo? What're yous doin' ere?" The girl glanced at the empty spot beside the boy, the one that she occupied most nights.

"I didn't know dat anyone eva came here. I can leave if ya want." The girl dropped down beside him.

"Nah, it's alright. As long as ya don't talk too much." The boy gave a gentle laugh before realizing that she was serious. He cleared his throat as he glanced out at the streets of New York. 

It was peaceful, but the girl could feel the boy nearly exploding with questions. She gave a single sigh and then spun to face him, crossing her legs in front of her. He raised an eyebrow in confusion, causing her to roll her eyes. She gestured for him sit the same as her and when he finally got comfortable, she spoke.

"We'll take turns askin' each otha questions. I'll start."

"I thought yous didn't want me ta talk."

"If ya don't you'll probably explode so Is think dis is for da best." That earned her a laugh, exactly what she had been aiming for. "Alright. Favorite color." The boy gasped dramatically, throwing a hand over his chest.

"No no, how could yous ask such a difficult question? I don't think I can answer." The girl laughed, shoving him backward. He smirked as he pulled himself back up. "Blue."

"Could ya be any more borin'?" 

"Hey!" 

"Is kidding, Jojo," she laughed. He rolled his eyes before crossing his arms over his chest, trying to decide which question to ask the girl. 

"Um, what's ya favorite animal?"

"Cats."

"Really?" The boy said, looking shocked.

"Something wrong with dat?"

"'Course not, just didn't pin ya as a 'cat person'."

"I get that a lot," the girl sighed, dropping her gaze to her hands. "Why, what's yere favorite animal?"

"Dogs." The girl burst into a fit of laughter, leaving the boy watching her, a hint of a smile on her face, but mostly confusion. 

"I should 'ave seen dat coming," she managed to say through her laughter. The boy allowed a full smile to grace his lips as he watched the girl before him. 

She had such a bright smile, one that lit up her dark eyes and made them shine like the midnight sky when the moon burning. He could see the weight that she held every day. He didn't know what the weight was, or why she felt the need to carry it alone, but seeing that smile light up her face and wipe away all worry, even if it was just for a moment, made him more happy than he had felt in ages. 

"Your turn," he finally said.

"If yous could go anywhere in da world, where would ya go?"

"I've heard Brooklyn's real nice this time of year," the boy said. Once again, the girl gently laughed, and the boy grinned. "Everywhere, I'spose. I've always dreamed of being rich enough to have a hundred servants and a large mansion."

"Neva working again," the girl stated, contemplating his words. 

"Everything being perfect."

"A table filled with an abundance of food for every meal," she sighed wistfully. 

"A huge yard filled with beautiful plants and trees," he said throwing his hands out to measure the size of the yard.

"With a stunning view of the Brooklyn Bridge." The girl pointed across New York in the direction of the Bridge and caught the boy's eyes. He smirked and she raised an eyebrow. 

"A room dedicated to ya cats," he laughed, and she quickly joined in.

"Oh but wes can't forget 'bout your dogs." The two leaned against the wall behind them, side by side, their shoulders brushing against each other's. 

Out here, just the two of them, laughing like they were old friends, everything was perfect. 

Jojo didn't have to fear his past, his memories, his anxiety, or what his future would look like.

Samantha didn't have to fear what would happen with her father, if she could stop him, if the kids at the Refuge would make it, or if she could escape the place that had haunted her all her life. 

No. For both of them, it was perfect. They didn't know where each other had come from. They didn't know what battles each other fought day after day. But the joy of making the other person smile was a joy that both of them craved deeply. To have someone to care about that didn't judge you for your past, or who you were related to, or anything really.

Out here, there was freedom. 

But it's hard to escape a war, no matter where you're standing. 

Holding on to something or someone becomes incredibly difficult if everything around you is pulling you away from each other. 

And for Jojo and Samantha, everything was pulling them apart, they just didn't know it yet. 

Update! If y'all didn't notice, I FINALLY picked a name for my series!!!!!! It is called All For One, and I have eight books planned (and for nutcracker645 that's four whole books plus another four whole books lol). I'm seriously hoping that I can write them all because that would make me soooo happy, but I'm taking it one book at a time (also there's gonna be no Davey, Jack, Crutchie, or Spot because welp, that's how I roll. Just background newsies. And Race. I don't really classify him as a background character, but I have a great story idea for him that I have to write ahah). Hope ya peeps enjoyed the chapter!

Isaiah 53:5- But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds we are healed.