Chapter 9

Red tried to contact Moira, pero out of coverage ito palagi. She took a day off and brought Kylie over to Vince's house. Sina Troy at Vico naman ang nag-cover sa kanila sa office. Tinawagan siya ng katulong ni Vince kanina. Hindi raw ito makabangon dahil masakit ang ulo at katawan nito.

Nagpahatid sila sa driver papunta sa bahay nito. Sinalubong sila ng katulong sa may gate. Iniabot niya rito ang mga gamit ni Kylie, habang siya naman ay kalong ang anak pagpasok. She headed upstairs to Vince's room.

Kumatok muna siya.

"Vince? Are you decent? I have Kylie with me."

He answered a throaty yes. She opened the door and peeked inside. The curtains were drawn at nakapatay ang ilaw. Kinapa niya ang switch sa pader and winced when the light enveloped the room. Nakahiga si Vince sa kama nito, still in yesterday's clothing. Nakapikit ito dahil sa ilaw.

Hinawi niya ang kurtina at saka pinatay ang ilaw. There's just enough light, hindi na blinding. Nilapitan niya ito. She had never seen him with stubbles on his face. Palagi itong clean-shaven. Amoy-alak ito kaya hindi niya mailapit si Kylie rito.

Her daughter's clinging to her. Mukhang naninibago ito kay Vince. Kylie's just staring at her uncle.

"Are you okay?" she asked him. "Sabi ni yaya, masakit daw ang katawan mo. Gusto mong magpabili ako ng gamot?"

"Huwag na," mahina nitong sagot.

"You don't need to go to work. Magpahinga ka na lang muna."

"Thanks. I don't feel like going to work today."

"I tried to get in touch with Carlene—"

Napatigil siya sa pagsasalita nang biglang gumawi ang tingin nito sa kanya.

"Don't. Don't meddle, please."

"Nagkakaganyan ka dahil sa kanya, di ba?"

"I'm just stressed."

Kylie looked at her with wide eyes. Saka ito yumakap sa kanya.

"Kylie doesn't believe you." Iniharap niya ang anak kay Vince. "Baby, give uncle a hug."

Kylie squirmed and turned to her. Sumubsob ito sa leeg niya.

"She doesn't even want to hug you. You stink. Maligo ka nga."

--

Vince sighed. Parang may bakal na nakadagan sa tigkabila niyang braso. He couldn't get up, and he doesn't want to. Just the thought of Moira not coming back makes him sink deeper in the abyss of his own misery.

Kylie was still just looking at him. Usually, kapag nagkikita sila ng pamangkin ay agad itong kakalong sa kanya. Or she would at least smile and wave. But Kylie's awfully quiet. Her big, brown eyes are unblinking, as she stares him down.

He could smell the alcohol on his breath. He wanted to take a shower. Maybe then he'd feel lighter. But he has no strength to get up.

"Kylie," he called hoarsely. "Give uncle a hug, please."

Kylie just stared at his barely lifted arm. Saka ito umiling at yumakap kay Red. The latter gave him an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, Vince," sabi nito saka ito lumabas ng kwarto niya.

He lay in bed for a few minutes. Kung matutulog kaya ulit siya, how long will it take for him to wake up and finally get up? He tried to lift his arms several times and they feel like they could fall off anytime. But he didn't stop trying. If not for Moira, then for Kylie, at least. He badly needs a hug from her.