-1-

the piercing sunlight shone down onto the sandy beach. the maldives, or maybe i should call it heaven. same thing. i sighed as i lay on my chair, my skin coated in sun cream.

"god i love the sun" i murmured to myself quietly, it warmed me up like a cup of hot chocolate during christmas. it was quiet, there were hardly any people in this area of the beach. all i could hear, were the waves crashing softly together, my light breathing and the pages of my book fluttering in the low wind. suddenly, there was a shadow casting over me.
"fucking clouds" i grunted, my eyes still shut as i waited for them to move on and reveal the sun again. it stayed like that for thirty seconds or so, i huffed, "jesus chri-" i began groaning.
when i looked up i met a familiar face, nick fury.

"y/l/n" he greeted, still standing there.
"are you not warm?" i asked, nodding down at his clothing. he ignored my question and sat on the sunbed beside me, taking shade under the huge umbrellas.
"we need you back again" he stated. i squeezed my eyes shut and draped my forearm over my eyes.
"no" i said simply, before standing up and collecting my things. i heard him mutter a few words before following after me, his shoes sinking into the sand.
"y/n". he said sternly. i sighed and turned around,
"i'm sorry but i took a break from all that for a reason". i replied.
"y/l/n. i want you to get back to the avengers, you're responsible and they need another person like that on the team again". he said. i chuckled,
"oh shit you're being serious"
"obviously"
"well i'm sorry but-" i began saying.
"that is an order y/n, you left because you wanted a break. it's been five months".fury interrupted. i scoffed and shook my head,
"that's not why i left. i left because that metal armed maniac is on the team, he killed my sister!" i scowled. fury sighed but his facial expression stayed the same.
"that's between you and him. so sort it out y/l/n"
"fine. i'll be there on friday, and until then i'm on holiday, so please don't bother me" i said sarcastically. a smile tugged at his lips as he nodded and said his goodbyes.
"fucking stupid fucking fucks can't even let me have a holiday" i grumbled to myself, kicking the sand underneath me.
"drink?" a waiter offered, holding out a platter of cocktails.
"god thank you for this" i said taking the drink and chugging the cool mango flavoured alcohol down my throat.

•••

"agent y/l/n where are you?" nicks voice bellowed from my phone. i groaned and pulled off my eye mask.
"god i'm on the plane" i croaked. he grunted in response and hung up the phone.
"work problems?" the woman beside me asked.
"unfortunately" i replied before pulling the eye mask on again.

after a long flight, i was walking into the tower. my hair was a mess and my eye mask was still on my head as i pulled myself along, trying not to fall asleep with each step.
"agent y/l/n" fury said before opening the lift doors. we stepped in,
"you look like a mess" he grunted
"a hot mess or a mess mess?" i mumbled, rubbing at my eyes. he rolled his eyes and cracked his neck. the lift went up and he looked at me,
"you'll now be reunited with your teammates" he said, a hint of enthusiasm laced in his voice.
"how brilliant" i deadpanned and lifted my head slightly as the lift doors opened.