𝟬𝟬𝟵 swallow your fucking pride

Start from the beginning

"Are you kidding? It's not even noon yet, and you're already drinking?" Athena glanced at her in surprise, walking past her to get to the clear-glass fridge on the opposite side of the kitchen. She almost sounded like she cared about her younger sister's well-being, but Annabelle knew her all too well, and Athena was incapable of feeling for others, at least that's how she made it out to seem sometimes. "If you keep drinking like that, you'll have a ton of AA meetings to look forward to in the future, or worse, you'll die of liver failure by the time you're forty."

"I was aiming for my late twenties so that I wouldn't be alive to see you procreate . . . bummer," Annabelle responded, clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth to express how little she cared about Athena's input.

Ignoring that unwanted response, Athena grabbed the gallon of almond milk from the fridge, using the back of her foot to shut the door. "Where were you last night? You didn't come home until like three in the morning."

Opening up the cabinet that contained the trash can, Annabelle dumped the empty bottle of champagne into it. She took the time to turn in Athena's direction, parting her lips to speak. "That is none of your concern." She shrugged her shoulders, amused at how much that managed to irritate the raven-haired girl. "And it was two, by the way." She added, correcting the statement that her sister had previously made.

"As your older sister, it actually is my concern." Athena blinked at her, not failing to notice how badly Annabelle wanted this conversation to be over with. However, she loved to dig her nose in other people's business, and something deep down was telling her that Annabelle's whereabouts weren't at a place that she typically spent her time at.

"If you want a sister bond, you're a couple of years too late, Athena." Annabelle sneered, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I don't want to know your whole life story, Annabelle. I just wanna know where you were." Athena quickly grew tired of Annabelle's little-detailed responses, her eye formed into slits as she slammed the gallon of milk down onto the marble countertop.

"I was out," Annabelle muttered, heaving a loud sigh to indicate her exasperation towards Athena right now.

Why the hell did she care, anyway? She'd never shown any sort of interest revolving around Annabelle's life, to begin with, so the simple fact that Athena had decided to engage in a conversation with her, was completely throwing the youngest Monroe child off.

Athena tore her eyes from Annabelle, relocating her attention towards the cupboards, where she reached her hand upward to retrieve a glass bowl. "Out?"

The urge to slam her head into the kitchen island tickled at Annabelle's side, the intrusive thought threatening to get the best of her. She hated rhetorical questions with everything in her. "Yeah." She nodded her head, her back turned to Athena so that she wouldn't see her hand balled up into a fist to imitate a fork gushing into her eyeball at this torment of a conversation the two were in the middle of.

"Out with who?" Athena continued with her questions, pushing Annabelle closer and closer to the point where she'd literally teleport to the opposite side of the kitchen to slap her across the face so that she would finally shut up.

Regardless of how annoyed she was, Annabelle answered the question through gritted teeth. "A friend."

"A friend?" Athena questioned curiously.

"Are you deaf?" Annabelle turned her body towards Athena, feeling the desperate need to shout the question because she truly did not see any point in this.

If this wasn't enough evidence to prove that Athena had done more than enough to wind up on her list of people that got on her nerves, she didn't know what else could.