16 // Women are easy to read

Kiki regarded Mr. William Mwaura with squint eyes, he'd changed, she almost didn't recognize him. Tufts of gray clung to his head like wilting grass in the meads, his height blurred by the persistent slouch of his meagre shoulders and the billow of flesh rippling his tunic shirt as though the walls of the labour ward spoke of his name. Even with his fading bones, Mr. William Mwaura still maintained a piercing look, his blades of brown cut through Kiki like lightening, prying onto her nerves with a growl of thunder.

Kiki quivered under his stare. "Mr. William? This is a_"

"A surprise?" Mr. William interrupted, his voice laded with Kikuyu dialect.

"Yeah, a great surprise. It must be raining cats and dogs." The last time Kiki had seen of him was three years ago, at his home in Kajiado. Nicole had Kiki tag along that day, something about moving some of her stuff from the mansion. Nicole twitched in her seat a lot during the drive, her arms were to her hair, to her face and to her thighs. It was an uncomfortable forty minute drive and the quiet in Nicole's visage reminded Kiki of the quiet found in graves, like that of calm before a storm.

Mr. William curled a smile. "I doubt it is, even the rain knows best when to stir."

"Well am glad to see you. Do come in." Kiki ajarred the door further, leaning to the left to give ingress. She closed the door once Mr. William settled on the seat. "Water, coffee or gin? We got plenty."

Kiki was trying to lighten the mood, she craved to relieve the emotional tension that had now cricked its way to the ceiling, jolting the bulb to a distress flicker here and there.

Mr. William noted Kiki's cathartic  attempts. He smiled but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Water will be just fine," he said.

Kiki was reaching out for a bottle of water from the fridge when her phone gave a chime. It was a text from Nicole. I'll be home late, don't wait up.

Kiki thought of sending a reply, something like, get your ass here ASAP, your dad is in our apartment looking like he could give Bolt a run for his money. But she decided against it. If Nicole knew of her dad's presence, she would probably not show up. Nicole's hate for her father had grown into a full blown stage in the last three years, at times tangible enough that Kiki felt its presence, gnawing upon the crevices on the walls.

When she gave Mr. William a glass of water and sat by the edge of the seat, she noted tension cradling the old man's jaw. His mouth would open and close, yet no words would string out. He was at war with himself and Kiki could clearly see that he was barely armoured. When he finally spoke Kiki feared he would tear up. "I wanted to speak to Nicole. Is she around?" he asked.

"She should be here by now, something must be stringing her behind. But she'll be here in about thirty to forty minutes from now," Kiki replied.

"Oh okay. I'll wait." His gazed zoomed in on Kiki's attire, taking in the vibrant teal with a slight arch of his brows. "Were you heading out?"

Kiki flushed at his question and wrung her fingers together. "Yes I was, before you came. How's Mama Nicole?"

"Mama Nicole is not doing so well. Her health is in perfect condition but the same can't be said about her peace of mind. She is heartbroken, rarely gets any sleep these days." Mr. William let out a long sigh, settling his eyes on the floor.

"What about you. How you holding up?"

"Am not great either. But no, this time round it wont be about me. Took me years to realize that I was...I am the problem. Now am praying that it's not too late."

"I have seen stumps that still sprout new life," Kiki said

"Well not every stump is auspicious enough." He stirred and looked to Kiki. "You should get going."

"Am not keen on leaving you here by yourself." Kiki argued.

He shook his head. "I'll be fine. Go and get him."

Kiki choked on her saliva, her cheeks bloomed. "What?"

"You think I wouldn't know you are going out for date. Women are so easy to read nowadays and that skimpy dress does say a lot." Mr. William had a smile to his face.

"Damn I should have known. Should I change the dress?"

"No, don't. It's perfect.

                         ******
It was a little over 8.30 pm when Kiki rapped on James's door.
"Didn't know you are that impatient," James smirked once he opened the door. "I have to admit though. Impatience does looks good on you and so does that dress."

"Won't be taking that complement," Kiki pursed her lips and draped her frame against the doorjamb.

"Why not?" James held a childish grin. "Seems great to me."

"If that is great to you, then it pretty much explains a lot." Kiki was restless, she twitched in her heels and felt her ankles twist more than once. Standing next to James and looking unaffected was a feat. She imagined it had to do with the way a snippet of the moonlight lipped across his face and gleamed his features to a god's gild. It was like staring at an elemental metal, untouched and pristine.

"Judy thinks otherwise," he argued.

Kiki felt her heart lip. "Judy? Who is that?"

"My cat."

"Who even names a cat Judy?"

"I do." James shrugged before turning towards his house. "Let me get my wallet first, then we head out."

Kiki stopped him. "Could we not maybe go out."

James looked to her and Kiki saw his face ink to a hurt. "Why not? Do you not wanna go out with me?"

"No. No, it's not like that. Its just that the weather today seems a little bit too chilly, thought maybe some netflix would be great for tonight."

"Well, that's fine by me. Does cuddling count too?"

"No."

"Judy won't like you."