Chapter 5

"So he's cute?"

"Jess, he's like cuter than Mark. And he's a runner. And he hasn't seen anyone his age yet but me."

"Wow. Sounds dreamy."

It was Wednesday evening and I was working at Crawford's Conservatory and Greenhouse. The sun was setting and the greenhouse was radiating beautiful light through its panels. It was almost nine o'clock and the last few customers were coming through.

I didn't see Aiden on the trail this morning- I left at the same time that I did the day before- and was surprisingly disappointed. I kinda missed him being around. And he was totally enticing.

"He was." I turned around to help an old lady with her cart. I put on my best smile. "Good evening, ma'am. Are you on our mailing list?"

"Yes I am, sweetheart." She set her four plants on the counter between us.

I looked at her flowers and smiled happily. As soon as I checked the old woman's purchases and sent her on her way with her flowers, I glanced back at how my run yesterday ended with Aiden.

~

Flashback

"Okay well this is where I started. Are you sure you know your way back?" We were at the beginning of the trail.

"Yeah I'll be fine. Wow, I can't believe I just ran that much." he paused and gazed up at a knot of vines woven between some trees. "I can't believe I talked that much."

I let out a light laugh. "Yeah me too."

It was quiet for a moment. Cody peed by the trail head.

"Well. This was fun. We'll have to run together more often. You can be my personal trainer or something." 

"Really?" I ask in disbelief.

He wants to run with me? Again?

"Yeah." He chuckled.

Silence cut through the forest like a dagger. The only thing I could hear was my heart beat, swelling blood rushing to the spot behind my ears like it normally does after a long work out.

I almost felt bad for him. He didn't know anyone his age around this town and he would have to make friends the hard way. On the first day of school.

Then I had an idea.

"Oh hey! There's a party this Friday. Some college party that my friend and I were invited to but I'm sure there are some senior boys that will be coming. I'm sure that Kate wouldn't mind you coming with us."

I'm positive  she won't mind him coming with us.

"That sounds pretty fun." He pulls his phone out of his short's pocket and hands it to me. "Can you put your number, um, in my phone? So I can get the details about the party from you?"

"Uh yeah." I take the phone and add myself under Maddie in his contacts. "Here you go." I place the phone in his fingers. 

"Thanks." He shoves it back in his pocket. He runs his hand over the back of his neck. "So I'll text you?"

"Yeah whenever you want." I agreed.

Did that sound too creepy?

I hid my madly blushing cheeks behind my hair when I knelt down to brush Kasey's fur behind her ears. "Nice to meet you Kasey." She stared into my eyes and licked my thumb and then my wrist. I got up and pulled Cody over towards us.