Chapter One

Hope county is my home and A beautiful one at that.I was born and raised there,I knew practically everyone thanks to my family and now my job but I haven't been home for a few months.

Something wasn't feeling right there at the time.Something felt off so I took a break from my job and left hope county for awhile traveling around.

Today I was heading back home to my family and friends though and hoping that it was just all in my head.

As I was driving towards hope county my phone began to ring so I answered putting the call on speaker and laid my phone in my lap.

"This is Eva Rye,how can I help you?"I said."Eva,it's Earl"The voice on the other side said.I smiled.

"Hey Earl what's going on,I'm on my way home right now"I said."I know your brother told me that's why I'm calling"He said."Oh?"I questioned.

"When you reach the way into hope county There will be a helicopter waiting for you,It's gonna be me,Staci,Joey,and Marshal Burke inside.I know you are just getting back and work is probably the last thing on your mind but there is no way you are getting in hope county alone"He stated.

I kinda gripped the steering wheel.

"Earl what's going on?"I asked.I just heard him sigh."I'll fill you in when you get here kid alright?"He said."Well..alright I guess I'll see ya soon"I said."See ya soon"He said and hung up.

I continued making my way towards hope county when I finally reached the helicopter.I parked the car I was borrowing from nick off to the side of the road and put my keys in my pocket making my way to the helicopter climbing into the closest empty seat.

I smiled at everyone as they stared at me and Earl handed me a headset and I put it on after getting settled in.

"Welcome back Rook,glad to have ya back"He said smiling."I'm glad to be back sheriff"I said.

"How was the vacation?"Staci asked as he started getting us off the ground."Oh well it was okay I suppose it did a little bit of fixing but something still feels off"I said laying my head back.

It went silent.I shrugged it off and soon we entered hope county.

"So kid are you ready to hear what's going on and why the marshal is here?"Earl asked."I'm all ears"I said sitting forward in my seat putting my elbows on my knees and interlocking my hands.

"So about a month or so after you left a cultist group arose across all of hope county,It's split into probably about four or five pieces id say"He stated.I nodded slowly.

"This isn't a small cultist group either Rook,you are probably thinking small groups of this cult in each section of hope county but they quite literally run and own everything now even the jail"Joey said butting in.

"They've taken a good chunk of our men,they bought up just about every piece of farm land for miles and miles and if you don't join em they kill ya"Earl said.

"So what's he doing here?"I asked motioning towards the marshal."I've got a federal warrant for the arrest of Jose-"He stopped midway through the name because Earl slapped a hand over his mouth.

Me and the marshal looked at Earl confused.He slowly dropped his hand from his mouth and sighed.

Earl looked at me dead in the eyes and he had a look as if he was terrified to even tell me the name.

"Kid I'm sorry to tell you this but....the whole thing is run by Joseph seed"Earl said.

I closed my eyes and sat back in my seat.

"Why the hell are you saying sorry to her? She didn't cause this issue"The marshal said.

"It's a long story Burke you'll hear it eventually but now probably isn't the best time to explain it"Earl said to him.I chuckled in anger shaking my head.

"So what good is the marshal's warrant here gonna do? They've taken our men they own everything and one guy with a piece of paper with some bullshit words on it is gonna change that?"I said looking out of the helicopter.

"You know Rook,there are god damn laws for a reason and Joseph seed is gonna learn that.I'm not just gonna ignore a federal warrant"The marshal stated.I rolled my eyes.

"Crossing over the henbane now"Joey announced.I continued looking out the window when a big statue of Joseph came into view.

"Crazy mother fucker"Staci said catching a glimpse of it as well.

"We're officially in Peggy country"Joey announced .

"How much longer?"The marshal asked."Just long enough for you to change your mind so we can turn this bird around"Earl answered."So you don't think this is a wise ass idea either do you?"I said looking at Earl.

Earl shook his head no."like I told Rook sheriff I'm not ignoring a federal warrant"The marshal responded.

"you know Burke I want you to understand the reality of this situation,Joseph seed...he is not a man to be fucked with.We've had some run ins with him before and like I've stated they haven't always gone our way as you can tell by the amount of men we have left,just sometimes....sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone"Earl stated.

It fell silent again.

"So where are we headed?"I asked looking at Earl."A sermon Joseph is holding in his church"I said.

"A sermon? I knew the man was quite religious but never did I think he was a damn preacher"I said.Staci chuckled.

"So if this cult is as bad as you make it out to be do I get a damn gun atleast?"I asked."Oh right"Earl said reaching under his seat.He handed me my button up shirt, my gun,and my thigh holster.

"Good thing i chose to wear a tank top under this"I mumbled to myself taking my headset off then taking off my shirt putting the button up on over my tank top and buttoning it up then putting my headset on.I folded my shirt putting it under my seat then wrapped my thigh holster tight around my leg getting it set up and I slid my gun into it.

"Pratt open a call with dispatch"Earl said."Ten four"Pratt replied.

"Whitehorse to dispatch over"Earl said."go ahead Earl"Nancy said on the other end."We're approaching the compound over"He stated."Roger sheriff,you still planning to go through with this? Over"She questioned.

"We are,unfortunately.Still trying to talk some sense into our friend the marshal over"He answered."alright...he's lucky I'm not there,you get into any trouble you,you just let me know over"She stated."Ten four over and out"He said.

"maybe we should've brought Nancy rather than Eva,peggies wouldn't fuck with her"Staci said.I rolled my eyes.

"Why do you keep calling em peggies?"The marshal questioned."project at edens gate P-E-G,it's what the locals call em,they started off harmless a few years back but now they are armed to the T,they're looking for a fight"Earl answered.

"Are you scared sheriff?"The marshal questioned looking him in the eyes.

"We're here the compounds just below"Staci said interrupting.We all looked out the window and everyone sighed.It looked like something out of a god damn nightmare.

"Oh my Jesus"Staci said."This is a bad idea"Joey stated.

"Last chance marshal"Earl said looking at him."we're going in"The marshal responded."set her down"Earl said looking away.Staci refused for a moment."Pratt..."Earl said looking over his shoulder to him."Roger that"Staci said landing us down.