9 - Beneath the Moonlight

You managed a small giggle "sorry, I'll make it right next time" he gently pet your head with his hand giving you a warm sense of safety that spread throughout you, easing your shivering from your near death experience within seconds "Xiao-"

Xiao was suddenly moved out of the way before you could get out your next words, his embrace being replaced by Beidous arms that were flung around you. As quickly as her hug came she moved back, her hands gripping your shoulders as she surveyed you for injuries, her hand moving the hair from your eyes as she smiled at you in relief "I'm so glad you're okay" she pulled you back into a hug again, which you returned, happy to see her again.

"Where are the ones who tried to kill you?" Xiao asked, his piercing golden eyes brimming with hatred as he spoke the words. You glanced around, since you had been saved mid-air by Xiao you weren't exactly sure where you had fallen from. You located the peak you had been on, being able to just about see the abyss mages that held you hostage peering over the edge in search of you. You pointed over to them, Xiao barely spared a glance towards your pointed direction before he gave a nod and disappeared from view.

"Don't worry" Beidou spoke, seeing the concern cloud your face once Xiao had disappeared "he'll be fine, and you're safe now, so that's all that matters right now" she stood from the ground beside you, pulling you gently up with her, making sure you were able to stand on your own before she slowly released her hold on you.

"But-" you looked towards the hill top but your vision was blocked as Beidou stood between you and the view.

She shook her head "I don't think he would want you to see what hes doing to the ones who tried to harm you . . an adeptus saved your life and he will make sure its never put in danger again" she said, the implication of her words hitting you as you nodded, adverting your gaze from where Xiao was no doubt beating the very souls out of the abyss mages responsible for your ordeal. Beidou wrapped her arm gently around your shoulders "come now, lets get you back to Liyue, . . safetly, this time" you nodded, allowing her and the few members of her crew she had brought with her to escort you back to Liyue.

You sat by the Crux docked in the harbour, watching as Beidou made the final checks and preparations on the ship before preparing to set sail. Xiao was yet to return and the evening light was starting to set in, you were worried, not about his safety but rather that he wouldn't appear again.

He had avoided you for several days before you had departed the inn and you only got to see him for a fleeting few minutes after he had saved you.

"Be ready to set sail in five minutes" Beidou called down to you. You looked up at her, giving her a nod as you hopped from crate you had been using as a seat. Maybe he really wasn't coming to see you.

You sighed, your shoulders slumping as you turned to make your way aboard.

"I wish you safe travels"

You spun on your heels, seeing Xiao standing a few feet behind you, his gaze avoiding you as he stood awkwardly rocking on his heels. You smiled in relief at his appearance, closing the small space between you swiftly as you threw your arms around his neck. Your action was surprising to him and almost made him lose his balance. His form was stiff for a few moments before he slowly relaxed in your embrace, his hand lightly placing itself on your back.

"I don't want to leave you" you mumbled against his shoulder.

You heard him give a short sigh "I'm an adeptus of Liyue, I must stay and protect it and its people" he moved his hand from your back now wrapping both of his arms fully around you as he grew more comfortable with your touch, holding you close for a few moments. The action was foregin to him, hugs were not something that he received or gave often, but this was nice. Your warmth was addictive to him "you should get going"