After depleting half of Gilgamesh's remaining energy, Gladio attempts a horizontal slash across the undead warrior's midsection. However, Gilgamesh blocks the attack and counters with a slash that cuts Gladio across his forehead. The shield was forced to back away to regain his composure before continuing the struggle against the undead warrior.

Clashing blades and parrying more attacks, Gladio eventually delivered a strike that throws Gilgamesh off balance and down onto one knee. The undead warrior's fiery left arm dissipates as he falls.

"I kneel before no man!" Gladio proclaimed at the top of his lungs. He stares at Gilgamesh for a moment, then seems to become aware of the pain in his forehead. He trailed his fingers across the new scar before letting out a faint chuckle. "Not exactly the "souvenir" I had in mind. It took me a while, but I realized something: you're right-I am afraid. Afraid of accepting the fact that maybe I'm not really cut out for the job I'm expected to do. But hey, at least I'm not walking away empty-handed. I'd better get going. I may be all muscle and no mettle, but I'm gonna keep protecting Noct the only way I know how."

Gladio turns and starts walking away just as Gilgamesh rises back to his feet and addresses him. "Spoken like a true Shield of the King." The shield stops and turns back to face the undead warrior as he continued. "Fear and doubt beget death alone. He who averts his gaze from his own faults cannot call himself a true Shield, but you-having made peace with your inner self-have proven you are worthy. The Chosen King should be so fortunate as to have a man like yourself serving at his side."

"You mean...?" Gladio's voice trailed off.

Gilgamesh looks at his katana, then holds its grip out to Gladio. "And with this glaive, I entrust my power to you."

The shield stabs his own sword into the ground and approaches Gilgamesh to receive his gift-the Genji Blade. As he takes the weapon into his hands, Gladio notices a medallion bearing the Crownsguard symbol hanging from the katana. "Where did you...?"

"Taken from the young man who impressed me with his strength of will. It was with this very blade he stole from me my arm."

Gladio was honored. However, he didn't feel as though he was worthy of such a gift. "But...I can't accept this."

"If he still walks among the living, a man of his mettle will have doubtless transcended attachment to mere material possessions." Gilgamesh held out his hand, conjuring another gift for the shield. "Take this as well."

Gladio accepted the crystalline coin and noticed a strange symbol engraved on it. "What is this?"

"The symbol of the ancient kingdom, Vanaheim

"The symbol of the ancient kingdom, Vanaheim. Do give it to the young queen."

He was shocked at how the undead warrior knew about (Y/n). "How did you know about her?"

"Her scent lingers on your being. Many of her blood line failed where you have succeeded. Alongside the crimson queen, this artifact is all that remains of the once grand Vanaheim. It is only right it be in her possession."