"Yeah," I reached up to rub the back of my neck, keeping my gaze glued to the computer rather than have to look her in the eye. "The landlord just said there's been an increase in break-ins lately so... I figured," I shrugged, "might as well."

I added that to the mental list of lies I'd now have to keep up with, the name tag that I'd had made with the name Ava suddenly burning hot in my back pocket. I reached in, making sure it was still there only to feel something else as well. A few things.

Furrowing my brows, I pulled out my car keys, wondering when I'd put them in there and then pulled out the other thing that had somehow materialized as well. A folded-up piece of paper. I placed the keys on the counter, unfolding the slip of paper with a small groan.

"What's that?" Raven's interest had suddenly piqued, probably noting the expression on my face. She'd abandoned whatever she'd been talking about a moment earlier, something I hadn't even heard thanks to the distraction at hand.

"A check," I muttered, folding it back up and wrenched open the top drawer of desk, placing it inside before she could get a better look. "Just for a client looking to buy a few paintings."

That client being a certain Harry Styles, who's motives apparently never went without intent. He'd managed to slip both my keys and the check into my back pocket earlier during his lovely little display on the street. I instinctively bit my lip, feeling the phantom tingle of his mouth on mine, and had to physically shake my head in order to gather my thoughts.

Bastard. I told him I didn't want the guilt money, yet here he went again – never listening to anything I said.

When I looked back up at Raven, having realized that I'd zoned out for a split second, she was attempting to shove her phone toward my face.

"What are you doing?" I swatted her arm away, ducking backward.

"Trying to take pictures of your neck, you dick!" She laughed. "I want Angel to have photographic proof that you're actually getting railed now."

"You're an asshole," I was grinning, laughing along with her, only for my expression to sober a split second later when I realized the extent of the situation. "Seriously though," I brought my hand up to cover my neck. "No pictures." When Raven seemed reluctant to relent, I jutted out my bottom lip in a small pout. "Please? I just... I don't really want everyone knowing about this."

Raven's hand faltered midair. She swallowed hard, her eyes flickering, before nodding and pocketing her phone. For a few seconds it seemed like she was debating on what to say, finally settling on, "How... I mean, how did this even happen? He was a dick to you when you got your tattoo."

"He's still a dick," was my instinctive response, the words only causing my face to heat further. Because why on earth would River, the girl who's always advocated for being with someone nice to you, willingly choose to have sex with a terrible, misogynistic, dick-ish man? Raven's expression told me she couldn't really understand it either.

Her tattoos flexed as she leaned even further forward on the counter, letting her arms drop off the edges to grab hold of my forearms. "Is he enough of a dick that I should be concerned?" She asked softly and suddenly reached into her back pocket, withdrawing her switchblade. She flicked it open. "I can fuck him up a lot worse than what he's currently got going on. He'll be fucking begging for just the black eye back."

Glancing down at the weapon between her fingers, I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled in my throat. Mainly because my first thought was that, should her and Morgan ever meet, I had a feeling they'd be incredible fucking friends.

Also, because she'd probably freak out if she saw the size of the knife Harry made me carry around. Actually, now that I was able to get a good look at hers, the one he'd given me seemed almost a little impractical. He'd have been better off just strapping a gun to me and –