I swear I just ate lunch.

It's dark out so I begin to order an Uber because what the hell? I'm only going because Sutton invited me—that's the only reason.

I mean, to think Harry would have told me it's his birthday today after he fingered the life out of me in his bathroom.

The memory alone has me clench the muscles of my stomach. I have to take a moment to breathe before I could begin walking towards the elevator shaft.

I patiently wait for the elevator doors to open up as I continue to decide whether I should get Harry a gift or not. I think this morning was enough, right? Besides, I don't know what the man likes besides sex and strawberry soda.

There's a soda machine on the first floor.

The doors finally open up and I make my way into the elevator. Just as the doors are about to close after hitting the first-floor button, the doors halt, and incomes August.

My heart, the one she so deviously ripped out from my chest, is on the floor after she weaseled into the elevator unwanted.

"I knew I saw you," she said, with a Louis Vuitton tote hanging from her shoulder. Her curls are straightened today.

Without saying anything, I reach out for the panel to get myself away from her, but she blocks me with her tall body.

"JoJo," she calls me and I can feel my hands begin to shake.

"Don't," I warn, not looking into her warm, but backstabbing, eyes. I huff. "I have nothing to say to you so if you can just-"

"Where have you been staying?" She asks as if she cares.

"Don't worry. I'll collect my shit from your apartment this weekend," I tell her, despite not having anywhere to put my shit in. Fuck, I wasn't prepared for this.

"JoJo, you've heard him out... Why won't you hear me out? I've been calling you. Did you block me?"

I look at her, feeling myself begin to pant out of pure anger. I did block her, to be honest. "Because... I know enough to drop you both."

"What did he tell you? He lied, didn't he? Did you know he forced himself on me-"

"August," I stop her when she's about to throw a serious accusation in the air. "You can't just..."

"Jo... Remember that frat party we attended as sophomores? We lost each other at one point. You couldn't find me, remember? That was the night I met Matthew. I was drunk and he was sober, JoJo. Please, hear me out! I never meant to hurt you. If we could just talk, I'll explain everything-"

The doors open up onto the first floor and my throat is sore from what she's so rapidly telling me. She's implying Matthew assaulted her, I can hear it in her voice.

What the fuck?

"I have to go," I whisper, walking past her when other students begin to fill the elevator.

I'm surprised she lets me walk away. I'm hugging myself tightly after pushing past the exit doors of the library. The night feels cold and I have no sweater to keep me warm. I'm still panting over what I've just been told on my way to the rideshare pick-up station.

She's right, I've only heard Matthew out. If what she claims is true, that he forced himself on her that night over two years ago, it would change everything.

I'm trembling as I wait for my ride to pull upfront. I don't think it's the chilling weather that's making me shake. It's the anxiety and fear beginning to creep up on me.