/Familiarity\

Words written 'like this' are words Y/n doesn't understand, considering Y/n doesn't understand english at all at the moment I was considering leaving all speech out for now, but the chapter felt a little dry without it, so sorry- but either way I super enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you all really enjoy it!

Blood warning

The building Y/n awoke in was warm and had a relatively cozy feel to it, with a strong smell of spruce and burning charcoal that had filled the air. It was perhaps early morning, a slither of faint bluish light slipped through the blinds and laid across the slightly dusty floorboards accompanied by the distant chirping of early rising birds in the distance. 

The calf winced as they covered their face with their scrawny little arms to defend their eyes from the light. Letting out a faint squeak as they shuffle to a more comfortable position, stretching out their legs to attempt to lessen the ache in them and turning to lay on their side. Their tail felt numb from where they'd been sleeping on it.

Wait… where were they?

With the sudden realisation, Y/n bolted upright, flinching from the stabbing pain in their lower back and forcing themselves to lay back down again. They let out a few disoriented mumbles as they studied their new surroundings. A house. Different from the likes Y/n had ever lived in. It was built from spruce wood and concrete by the looks of it. Y/n confirmed their suspicions by running their hand down the side of the wall, feeling the cool, smooth texture of the concrete and then to the rough bark of the wood.

Y/n's pov

I looked around at the building I had awoken in, though it didn't make me feel uncomfortable or nervous to be there, it had a rather serene atmosphere which was only increased by the little sing songs the birds chirped outside. I layed in a bed with about four layers of blankets on me, each was a different color but all had that same deep shade which made the colors easy on the eyes but at the same time being encased in all these blankets made it hard to move my legs. 

I kick the sheets off  and instantly feel the frosty air nip at my arms and the back of my neck. I shudder, drowsily reaching over my shoulder to retrieve my cape, wanting to wrap myself in the fur and bury my face in the familiarity of the scent of mushroom stew.

It's not there.

I felt around a little more before turning my head to look over my back, both my shirt and cape were gone, I only had a thick layer of bandages wrapped around my abdomen and a couple other areas on my back that had been dressed in cloth to keep the wounds from opening.

My cape, I need to get my cape.

I shuffle to the end of the bed, letting my legs hang off the edge of it before cautiously lowering myself to the ground. I let out an audible gasp as I put the pressure down on my hooves, a sharp pain shooting up my spine but I press forward either way, putting my full weight down as I stop using the bed to support me, letting my fingers slip from the warmth of blankets. I stumble a little but ultimately keep my balance, looking around.

My cape, I need to get my cape.

I look around, rummaging through the blankets a little before I awkwardly make my way over to an assortment of large oak chests, using the wall to support me once more as I reach down, tracing my fingers against the silver lock before dislodging it with a satisfying click, opening it up and searching through it. The same went for the next one. And the next one. And the next one. The sound of the cluttering objects becoming louder and louder as I became less and less worried about drawing attention to myself and more concerned about the whereabouts of my comfort item.