Les I'm miserable

Começar do início

Percy shook his hand. "Percy Jackson."

"So where are you headed?"

Percy gestured in the general direction of the city. "My mom's. Haven't-" Percy's voice cracked, but he managed to hold up the facade of being fine. "Haven't seen her in a while."

Steve nodded understandingly, a bit sad. His eyes looked far away, like he was remembering something else. "I understand what that's like." He paused, evaluating Percy's figure. "Are you in the military?"

Percy nodded. Maybe not in the U.S military, he thought, but I've fought in wars, I'm a soldier, and if that doesn't count for something...

"Did you just get back from deployment?"

"Sort of," Percy hesitated. "I got injured, so I've been back for a while, but medical just released me, so..."

"Oh, yeah." Steve looked like he wanted to pat Percy's shoulder, but he decided not to. He knew first hand how jumpy people are after just getting back from war zones.

Steve stuck his hands in his pockets. He wanted to talk to Percy about it, after all, he's been exactly where Percy is. He knew how Percy was feeling. But he didn't want to get involved in Percy's personal matters and stick his nose where it don't belong.

Steve took a deep breath. Oh, forget social niceties. There's a hurting soldier here and he needs to know there's someone out there that understands him. "There's a cafe down the road, do you want to sit down and talk about it? I just got back from deployment too, in a way. Obviously it's been a while, but I was unconscious during that time. So for me, I just got back to civilian life a few weeks ago. And then it wasn't even civilian life because we just had a battle with some green, skinny, norse god and his alien army and..." he stopped. "Oh gosh, I'm talking about myself, aren't I? I'm sorry. But... my offer stands. If you need someone to talk to that understands, I'm right here."

Percy smiled. "Thank you, Steve. I... think I'll take you up on the offer."

Steve smiled back and gestured to the cafe. "Lead the way..." He trailed off, not knowing Percy's name.

"Percy." Percy supplied.

Steve nodded in thanks.

When they walked in the cafe, Steve ordered a plain black coffee. He turned to Percy. "What would you like?"

Percy shook his head. "Oh, no. I don't have any money."

Steve raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "Did I ask if you had any money? It's my treat, so c'mon. Whaddya want?"

Percy looked at the board, trying to find something that looked good. "I'll have... uh, a carmel, no, chocolate latte. Or frappe. Whichever one is sweeter."

The cashier, a girl who looked about sixteen and slightly flustered, nodded. "Okay. That will be... nine fifty-seven."

Steve stepped forward, a red card with a large A surrounded by a circle in his hand. He hesitated. "I don't know how to do this, honestly."

The girl waved her hands. "No, no! It's okay, Mr Captain America! I can do it for you!"

Steve smiled. "Thank you."