A New World

I looked around me and saw that I was alone. Had I imagined the creature out of fear? Or had my mind played a trick on me? I couldn’t tell which was more likely. In the distance, a few bluejays whistled in the trees. They seemed happy. Of course, there was no reason for them to be unhappy, a blue sky draped over head. I listened more for a few seconds, until all I could hear was the sound of my own heartbeat in my ear. The sun beating down, I gazed at the open house. It looked so small and peaceful now that it was empty. Nothing moved, or at least that was out of the ordinary. I still had not yet found the caretakers or nana and papi. I did not dwell on this too much, as they, and they’re shouting did me no good. I looked down for a brief second when I heard a faint sound. It was very small at first, barely noticeable. But then it grew, grew louder with each second. A small rock against a bigger one, a large wagon being beaten into a hard wall, and at last, a loud, thunderous noise. Like that of a monstrous beast, stalking it’s prey. I did not move, for I had feared what it was. My mind was spinning, with wanting to turn around and find whatever was making the noise and not wanting to see it and run the other way. I always had an eye for adventure, and found my legs moving for the forest and trees from where the noises were coming from. I only had time to walk a full five paces before a break in the trees stopped me dead in my tracks. A large, furry, bloody beastie that walked on all fours bounded through them. My eyes couldn’t take in the full body, it was so tall. The skin seemed to be covered in blood, but it might have been simply the color of it. Skinny, but muscular, with a head almost twice the size of it’s body and spikes on the tips of its tail make it look like it was meant for battle. You’d almost believe it was. My limbs frozen, I stared at it. I really hope it doesn’t take my stillness for a challenge, I thought. The silence that ran in front of us seemed to go on forever. The roar of the huge beast rang soundly through the trees like a wave, causing birds to scatter and scuttle around in a panic. All of that roaring must have worn him down because now he was breathing as if he just around half way around the world. The beast had no rider. I couldn’t decide if that was a good thing or not. Still breathing heavily, the beast stared into my eyes, searching for a threat of some sort. He, or at least I’d hoped it was a he, had calmed down and looked ready to give up, deciding that I was no threat to it. I began to breathe again. “ What are you?” I asked breathlessly. The beast looked as if I just spoke in french. “You don’t seem so bad. Do you have a name?” I took a small step towards the beast. It noticed and tensed it’s muscles, ready to attack if needed. “Shhh shhh I won’t hurt you.” “ You couldn’t hurt it, even if you wanted to!” A sharp, crackled voice shouted, making me jump. “W-who are you?” I yelled into the trees. A small, plump dwarf withdrew from the forest, with a small smile and short arms flailing about. “My name is Thundid Dimarmour, keeper of the lost. Which you seem to be, wondering on your lonesome. What it is you seek?” Thundid glided towards me, I startled. “I.. I am afraid I’ve lost my caretakers. They’ve all vanished and there was this.. This strange creature with long claws that beckoned me closer and…” I trailed off as Thundid doubled over with laughter. The beast had long lain down, seemingly bored with our exchange. “You! You seem so scared, so worried. Your “caretakers” never cared for you, hadn’t you noticed? When have they ever shown you love?” Thundid’s voice stuttered at the word of ‘love’, as his scottish accent squeaked, as if appalled at the very word of love. “I.. No. But they still took care of me. Even if they didn’t show me love, they kept me alive for 15 years. I want to know they are alright.” I cupped my hair in my hands, not wanting to look at Thundid. “OH Nevermind them! I know your TRUE calling. Come with me, and you shall find that which you have longed for!” He started to dance and the beast had stood. I wanted to come, to see what he spoke of. “Pardon me, sir, but I hardly know you. I don’t know if you can be trusted in such an odd time as this.” I took a step towards the dwarf and stopped. “Have you wanted to explore the forest? Have you felt as if you were worth more than just a farmhand on a crubby stretch of land? I know you have, you cannot lie to me. Follow me.” I looked back at the house, giving a silent farewell to it, and started after Thundid. Thundid whistled and called the beast “Bladeling” to which he happily lept up and went after Thundid as a dog did when it was time to eat. And off we set, into the deep green forest.

I felt as if we had walked forever, without a stop for rest. Birds chirped and squirrels scuttered along the forest floor, chasing one another. “Mr. Thundid, where are we going? If I may ask.” I awaited a reply, but none came. He didn’t seem to hear me, so I spoke again. “Mr. Thundid, where are we going sir?” Again, he did not seem to hear me. Was he doing that on purpose? The beast was following us, but in the shadows. He did not seem to like the sun much. My spirits lowered slightly. Where was he taking me?  I wondered. He seemed to know where he was headed, but I had felt we were walking in circles. I did not like it at all. Wooo an owl hooted in the trees above us, as the began to set on the horizon. We seemed like small ants in a very big field, the trees towered over us and wild creatures began to stir. As the sky grew darker, the friendly animals fell silent to the night dwellers and wolves howling at the moon. It could have been beautiful if you knew where you were. I did not, so I could not truely enjoy the sounds. Mr. Thundid had acted as if it were just himself walking along the trees, speaking to himself and never answering when I had asked a question. Every few steps my dress would catch on a fallen tree limb or a large log, and I would have to lift my skirt slightly to keep from falling on Mr. Thundid. After what seemed like an eternity, we approached a large black hole in the middle of the forest floor. I looked down, and I saw my reflection. It was a pool, or at least looked like one. Mr. Thundid grunted as he sat down, legs in the water, and looked at me. “What is this? Mr. Thundid, I do not like this, please tell me what is this place?” He smiled and slid in, the beast watching me, waiting for me to do the same. I slowly sat down, and lowered my legs into the water. It chilled my legs as they went in, but a warmth flowed through my legs as they went in deeper. I gave one last glance at the beast and slid in. I slammed my eyes shut, as tightly as I could, preparing for the shock the cold water was sure to bring. But I felt nothing, just as if I were standing outside. I opened my eyes, and looked around. The moon shone bright on concrete paths, laid out in every which way, they continued for as far as the eye could see. It was night, but birds sang cheerfully and full of life. Crickets chirped their soft melodies and the trees swayed in the light breeze, seeming to dance to the music the air carried. “Welcome to Xaria, Phyrra. Kingdom of life, and freedom!” I saw lights begin to turn on in the near distance.