Chapter Seventeen: Fading

Start from the beginning

Rachel nodded. "Sure. We can confront him tomorrow, and go somewhere after."

"Sounds like a plan." Max smiled. "So...can I get a ride back to my dorm?"

* * *

"How much should we offer him?" Rachel inquired, looking up at me with her hazel eyes.

"I don't know. Half maybe?" I shrugged.

"Okay, that'll still leave us a a good chunk." She had a faint smile on her face as she laid in the bed with her eyes gently shut. It had been a long and tiring day for all of us, and I was fucking exhausted.

"What do you wanna do with the money?" I asked, sitting beside her, lighting up my joint and taking a hit. She opened her eyes at the smell. "I think group tattoos are in order." she suggested, wiggling her eyebrows. I laughed and handed her my joint which she accepted gratefully.

"That's a good idea," I said while stifling a yawn. "Have I ever had a bad one?" Rachel crossed her arms and looked at me. "Remember when you set that tree on fire which caused a fucking forest fire? Or when you decided to hit Damon and got stabbed?" I raised an eyebrow. "Those were good ideas, just poorly executed!" She insisted, and we both burst into a fit of laughter.

"You know, I really like Max. I thought that I might be jealous of her but I'm glad she was here for you. She's awesome." Rachel admitted. I grinned. "Dude I'm so glad the two most important people in my life got to meet." "She's perfect to balance us out, she thinks with her brain while we think with our hearts." Rachel laughed. "I gotta admit, we're both hotheads. Especially you Mrs. Firecracker." I joked and Rachel swatted my arm. I went quiet and began to think.

The confrontation with Frank really threw me off. Who the fuck did he think he was, acting like that? Kissing my girlfriend? He's lucky I didn't have my gun. If I did I would have-"C, what's up?" Rachel's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Nothing, just tired." I replied, taking the last hit of the joint and putting it out. "I'm sorry about earlier. Frank was really fucking out of line." Rachel apologized quietly, sitting up and resting her head on my shoulder. "Not your fault." I replied, resting my head on top of hers. "I love you." Said Rachel.  "I love you too." We sat like that for a few minutes until I finally broke away.

"I love you but this is way too uncomfortable to sleep." I laughed. Rachel chuckled and grabbed my hand. "I was thinking the same thing." And with after that we quickly dozed off after our eventful day.

                                                                                                                                         *                       *                     *

"Did he say he was coming?" Max asked Rachel, her face full of worry. "On his way." Rachel replied, shoving her phone into the back pocket of her denim shorts. She was also nervous, which was very uncommon for her since she was normally suave and confident.

"It'll be fine. We give him the money, he takes it and leaves us alone. Or we call the police and run. Plus we have a fucking timelord with us, nothing can go wrong." I assured them. Their faces began to soften.

"Just please don't do anything stupid!" Max pleaded, looking at Rachel and I. I pretended to be offended. "Me? Never?" We all laughed and Rachel playfully shoved me.

"We need to take a picture." Said Max, pulling out her phone from her pocket. Rachel and I stared at her quizzically. "So I can rewind in case something bad happens." She explained, raising her phone so we would all be in frame. "Ah, right. Good on you for thinking ahead, Max." I slung my arm around her shoulder and grinned at the camera for a pose, while Rachel stepped up on her tiptoes and kissed me on the cheek, draping her arms around my neck.