ch8: the most beautiful things in life

Xiao looks over his shoulder and watches Venti swim over to a rock out in the distance. Every stroke is fast paced but still graceful. "He looks so nice swimming." The words come out of his mouth before he realizes what he is saying. Xiao's cheeks are tinted pink as he awkwardly turns away as Venti pulls himself ashore.

The sky is still ablaze with orange, and Xiao leans on the handle of his spear as he watches the bard start to play the flute.

Sometimes the most beautiful things in life are the little things.

Xiao listens to the tune as he absorbs every note of the melody. It's soothing.

On impulse, Xiao decides to swim over to Venti. Venti looks around and offers his hand, but Xiao pretends he doesn't see it and pulls himself onto the small rock. The two sit next to each other for hours.

Xiao rests his head on Venti's shoulder, and they both fall asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You think you know me so well..."

The adepti looks up and makes eye contact with the bard. He glares, and his eyes glow with a red tint. He lunges for the lyre which Venti drops in order to dodge the spear.

"Xia-"

"Well you don't know me!"

The lyre is smashed into tiny pieces, which scatter across the ground. Xiao looks down at the lyre, now torn and strung in various directions.

He looks back up to see the bard's reaction, but Venti is gone, with only a trace of anemo dust to show he was once there. Xiao takes off his mask, swiftly kicks at the crumbled pieces of lyre and collapses on the rocks.