ch3: the lyre

I'll give him a little time to open up, he just seems tense at the moment. Maybe a song or a rhyme will lighten the mood!

"Care for a tune?" Venti clicks his heels and winks at Morax.

"Just one, okay? We don't want this to carry on as long as last time."

The Archon remembers when he had performed for Zhongli's "special friend" Tartaglia. The show went on for 7 hours, and by the end, the pair could barely keep their eyes open. He did get fair pay in mora that he added to his alcohol fund.

"I know!! It will only be a short onethis time. Feel free to dance along if you wish!" Heh, this should get Xiao to crack a smile. I wonder what he looks like with one...

Venti strums his lyre gracefully, and Xiao lifts his eyes up from the ground to watch. Zhongli is resting with his eyes closed, listening to every little detail of the music.

The song carries throughout Liyue, with a peaceful tone which draws people to stop and listen. As Venti starts to sing, Xiao's problems seem to fade away for a split second, and the adepti is at peace.

But then the voices in his head are back.

After all you've done, do you even deserve this beautiful tune?

Xiao opens his eyes and they glare in the sun, as he stares at the bard, still playing his little song. He looks at Xiao, who's eyes quickly look to the ground as they dart away from Venti's view.

Does he not like my music? Venti senses an aura of fear wash over, which discomforts him, and he stops playing.

"X-xiao? Are you..okay?"

Xiao's heavy breathing wakes Morax, and his eyes drift open to be almost frightened of Alatus' appearance. His hands are clenched into tight fists, and a mask starts to form as he waves across his face.

"Morax? Is your friend always like this? He's a little scary..."

"Barbatos, it's time you learn to always prepare for the worst."

Xiao is moving without showing any emotion. Is he unconsciously doing this? It's as if...he's moving without thinking...