"I don't dance, Jacob."

"Neither do I."

And with that, Charlie was uprooted from her spot on the couch into Jacob's arms. She stood still for a second, not knowing how to move to the rhythm of the music. It was only when the song suddenly switched to Harry James's "Its Been A Long, Long Time" that she felt herself begin to sway.

Jacob watched as she relaxed, searching her face as she began to hum the tune. Charlie's tone was melodic - a few months of singing in the coffee shop had made her ears impeccable. He found himself slowly wrapping his arms around her waist, bringing her closer to his chest.

In turn, Charlie snaked her hands carefully around her neck - the moment suddenly seemed so fragile, so breakable, that one wrong move would send it spinning down the drain. Hesitation painted her next motion; but she placed her head on Jacob's shoulder, feeling the scratch of the fabric against her cheek.

There they stood, gently moving from side to side. Nothing else, nobody else was there; it was just her and Jacob and Harry James. A pang of worry shot through her chest as she realized that she was actually fucking slow dancing with Jacob.

"Is it bad that I only think of Nick Fury getting shot when I hear this song?" Jacob mumbled into her hair. Charlie couldn't help but laugh. She pulled away, staring into an ocean of blue as her tongue fiddled with a response.

"The fact that you think of anything having to do with Captain America just moved you eight points higher on my 'like' list."

Jacob chuckled as his arms tightened around Charlie's waist. Charlie seized up at this action, the glass shattering as she remembered they weren't alone. She whipped her head around, only to realize that somehow, they were. Charlie relaxed as she heard echoing of voices from another room against the din of the music.

"Y'know, it also makes me think of Bucky. Have I told you that he's my favorite character? Besides Tony?" Jacob asked as Charlie adjusted her arms to look at him.

"Jacob Bertrand, you are just full of surprises, aren't you," Charlie affirmed as her eyes searched his face. He was so close - so close that she could see a small freckle on his nose, and how the blue of his eyes had just a touch of gray.

"Hopefully, I'm not all out of them yet."

Charlie watched as his eyes fell to her lips, his face slowly inching closer to hers. She could smell peppermint on his breath - had he known what was about to happen was a possibility? Her mind was cloudy, every thought going through her head melding together into one big cascading scream of ohmygodohmygodohmygod -

And then his lips met hers, and it was like all the other thoughts went quiet.

All she knew was that his lips were warm, and they were on hers, and that the feeling made her dizzy and drunk and every unexplainable feeling the dictionary hadn't defined.

Jacob's right hand moved to her jaw, gripping it so slightly while his left squeezed her side, pulling them closer together. The motion made Charlie's knees weak, but she's with him, and the unspoken trust rings true.

Charlie's hands tangled into his hair, twisting around the waves. Her lips moved harder against him now, stealing his breath with every pulse.

They finally broke apart for breath, chests heaving and foreheads pressed on one another's. When their noses brush, they both let out breathless laughs filled with awe.

"Fuck, Charlie, I really like you," Jacob gave an awkward laugh as Charlie's lips widened into a tooth-filled grin.

"Well, that's a big fucking relief because I really like you too, Jacob." Charlie murmured as Jacob pressed a small kiss onto her nose.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

SO YEAH UMMMMM THAT HAPPENED YES I AM SCREAMING YES I AM IN LOVE WITH MY OWN CHARACTERS  WHAT ABOUT IT

i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, y'all aren't ready for everything that comes next :)

i LOVE YOU ALL <33

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤