Chapter 6

Word count: 2,262 Characters count: 10,947

Y/N POV

    I wake up to the sirun. I jump up and look around. I see all the boys standing by the box. I pull my shoes one and walk over to the box.
    I get to the box and I stand beside Newt. Newt and Gally open the gate. A boy with brown hair holds his hand above his face to the sun.
    Gally jumps in and says "Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine." Gally pulls the boy out of the box and onto the ground. He looks up at all the boys in fear and confusion. He pushes through the crowd and starts to run to the wall.
    "We got a runner!" Zart yells.
    I feel a hand on my shoulder and look and see Alby looking at me. He gives me a nod. I push through the crowd and run after this kid. I get close to him and he trips and falls to the ground. I hear laughing behind me. I come to a stop and try to help the kid up.
    "Who are you!" he yells at me.
    I try to step forward but he trips me. I hit the ground and my head hits it hard.
    Alby comes and starts to talk to the kid. I stand up with the help of Newt.
    "You ok love?" Newt asks.
    "Yep"
    "Are you ready to go gardening?" I give him a nod and we head over to the garden.

Newt POV

    Y/N helps me with gardening. I look and see that Alby finished his tour. So I grab Y/N's hand and we walk over to Alby and the greenie.
    "Ha. Green bean, meet Newt and Y/N. When I'm not around there in charge." Alby tells the greenie.
    "Well, it's a good thing you're always around then. That was some dash earlier. For a second, I thought you had the chops to be a runner... Till you face-planted" Newt says to him. Both me and Alby give Newt a high five.
    "That was great." Alby goes to continue talking but Thomas asks about being a runner. "Newt, Y/N, do me a favor. Go find Chuck." Alby finishes.
    Me and Y/N give Alby a nod.

That night at the bonfire

    I sit at one of the logs with the greenie.
    " 'ell of a first day, here. Put some hair on your chest." I hand him Gally's secret drink.
    "Oh. Oh, my god! What is that?"
    "I don't even know. It's Gally's secret recipe. It's a trade secret."
    "Yeah, well, he's still an asshole."
    "He saved your life today. Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place."
    "We're trapped here, aren't we?"
    "For the moment. But..." I turn and point to Minho and Y/N "You see those guys? There, by the fire? Those are the runners. That guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning, when those doors open, they run the maze... mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out."
    "How long have they been looking?"
    "Three years."
    "And they haven't found anything?"
    "It's a lot easier said than done. Listen." i point up "Hear that?"
    I get cut off "The maze is changing." I look up and see Y/N saying it. After that sentence she runs back to the fire getting a drink.
    "Listen, the truth is... the runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They are the strongest and fastest of all. And it's a good thing too... Because if they don't make it back before those doors close... then they are stuck out there for the night. And no one has ever survived a night in the maze."
    "What happens to them?"
    "Well, we call them Grievers. Of course, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell about it. Well except for Y/N. But they're out there. Right, that's enough questions for one night. Come on." I stand up and put my hand out. "You're supposed to be the guest of honor."
    He starts to protest but I don't listen to him.
    "Come on. Let me show you around." we start to walk around the fire. "And there we got the builders. They're very good with their hands... but not a lot going on upstairs. And then we got Winston... he's the Keeper of the Slicers. And we got two med-jacks, Clint and Jeff. they spend most of their time bandaging up the slicers."
    "What if I want to be a runner?"