Stoneteller

if you know the tribe in the Mountains, this will make sense. this Stoneteller is the last one that the Clans met on their Great Journey. this is his tale about how he became leader and successor (and medicine cat)

-------

   A cough erupted from the leader's den. Cats turned and stared at the cavern. A light gray and black tom walked slowly and painfully out of the den. He walked over to the front of the group and sat down with a huff. He looked into his cats' eyes.

   "As many of you know, I am terribly sick." the cat started. "I am afraid my time is near. I shall pick a young cat for me to teach for as long as I can. That cat will become successor after my time." He shuffled and looked over the crowd.

   "Scratch on wall." he called out. "Come up here." A dark gray tom looked surprised, but walked forward. He was young and was only a to-be a few weeks earlier. "Scratch, you are to become the next Stoneteller and Healer. Do you accept this offer?"

   "I- I do, Stoneteller." the dark gray tom dipped his head. "I accept."

   "Then I shall train you and teach you my ways. But you have to know there is some restraints in this offer. You shall never leave the sacred cave except when you absolutely have to. Is that a promise that you shall obey Stoneteller rules?"

   "I promise. I promise to do my best."

   Stoneteller touched Scratch's head with his muzzle. "Come to my den." The two tomes walked into the den in the wall. Cats stared after them and murmured to each other. This was the new Stoneteller.

                                                                              *           *            *

   Three moons passed when the Stoneteller died. He died in his cavern next to the pool of water. Scratch was terribly sad, and so was the rest of the Tribe. They buried the old leader at the top of the waterfall and mourned him for many, many moons.

   The new Stoneteller was unafraid. He was determined to keep the great Tribe of Rushing Water going for uncountable seasons to come. He dreamt many dreams of the Tribe of Endless Hunting. He sat in the Cave of Pointed Stones for countess moons. He will rule for eternity.