Chapter 1

Somewhere in Southern France, 1983

Laying next to me in bed is Jeanne. I gently caress her cheek with the back of my hand. I've wanted her for so long. We've been friends for as long as I could remember. She lives in Paris during the school year, whereas I live in London. We only see each other every summer, as we both spend it in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, a little town in France. I've been trying to make a move on her since the age of twelve, but she's always turned me down. I've changed this year. I'm a man now. Well, not really, because I'm only eighteen, but at least I've started to look like one. I'm no longer a skinny celery stick. I've finally hit puberty (thank fucking god... I was tired of looking like a kid).

Something has changed between us this summer. I've only been here for a week and I can feel it. Summer of '83 is about to be a whole other level of fun.

She turns her head to face me. Her hazel eyes catch the warm sunlight. A small smirk appears of her lips. I know what this look means. I let go of her cheek and prop myself up on my shoulder. I know that I could just reach and touch. She would let me. She wants it just as much as I do. I take my other hand and reach for the back of her neck.

"Are you going to kiss me or are you going to be a pussy about it?" She asks with a challenging tone.

I let out a shy laugh. I lick the top half of my lips and slowly lean in. I feel her breathing on my lips. I shut my eyes and-

"HARRY! Come and greet our invité downstairs! He just arrived! You'll see he's mignon comme tout!" I hear Maman yell.

My eyes snap open. I look at my open bedroom door.

"I'M COMING MAMAN! JUST GIVE ME A SEC."

By the time I turn my eyes back to the spot where Jeanne layed moments ago, it was empty. She was on her feet, walking towards the door.

"Hey! Where are you going? Don't you want to finish what we started?"

"Better be faster next time." She says with a wink.

"Maybe your invité will be faster than you. I'll catch you later." She ends with before walking out my room.

"He better fucking be mignon comme tout cause he just ruined my moment." I mutter under my breath.

I hadn't even seen the man and I was already mad at him.

The first thing I see while walking down the stairs is the top of his hair. Brown messy hair. It looked like it hadn't been brushed in ages. Tied around his head is a pale blue bandana. He was talking to my parents. 

"Thank you so much for letting me stay. Your house is so beautiful."

He's definitely from northern England. His thick English accent was showing. It irritated me.

As I reach the same level as him and my parents, my mother takes him by the arm and turns him to face me.

Light blue eyes meet mine. They were almost electric. I noticed the colour matched perfectly with the scarf in his hair. He had prominent cheekbones and a sharp jawline. He was wearing a white lose polo paired with beige shorts and brown sandals. He looked like a frat boy who put on his cleanest clothes to make a good first impression. 

"Louis, this is mon garçon, Harry. Harry, this is Louis, the student who will be spending summer with us."

Since I've been little, my father has always invited a university student to stay with us for a whole summer. They could work on whatever they wanted to, as long as they spent one hour each day helping Papa with different tasks. It's a sort of tradition I've been used to. I usually get along quite well with them. They're always so grateful for their summer spent in Provence. Many of the former students stop by now and then to have a drink out on the terrace with us. Others even sent us Christmas gifts.

I extend my hand to shake his. Before I could get a sentence out, he drops his bags on my arm.

"Could you take these to my room please? I'm exhausted."

Well that was rude. A "Hello, nice to meet you" could've been nice.

Maman gestures me to take him and his stuff upstairs.

"Hum yeah sure." I refrain from saying something mean that I would end up regretting.

"Follow me." I say as I walk up the stairs.

"We're gonna have to share a bathroom that connects to both our rooms. I hope you don't mind"

"It's not like I really have a choice" He answers with a light chuckle.

Was he being funny or serious? I couldn't quite read him yet. I decide to stay silent and walk into his room.

"There you go. It's the biggest one, besides my parent's bedroom of course. It's usually mine but I let it to the guests."

He looks at the room, emotionless. A smile wouldn't hurt... I turn my head to the windows.

"You might want to open the windows at night, it gets quite hot in here" I say as I point to them.

"Here, let me show you how" I walk to the windows and turn the handle.

"Much better"

As I turn around, I see him lying face down on the bed.

"Could you leave me alone please? I'm exhausted from my travels. You can put down my bags near the door. Thank you" He says in a muffled voice.

"Oh okay. Do you want me to call you for diner? Our cook Mafalda is making her special Quiche Lorraine."

"I think I'll sleep on that. Can you cover for me? Thanks." He shuts his eyes.

I guess this is my sign to get out. I drop his bags next to the door and leave.

What a fucking dick. He can't even make a little small talk with me out of politeness. He's pretty rude and ungrateful for someone who's going to spend a summer in a big cottage, free of charge.

I could tell that we weren't going to get along.

I'm gonna have to put up with him for six long weeks. 

First chapter done!! Hope you guys liked it!! I'm having so much fun writing this!!