Chapter 58 Magic

The shape gradually turned into Wei Ying's grandfather, who quickly smiled at them before turning to stare at Baoshen Sanren.

"My love," she whispered. His hand covered hers. "Look what our grandson has brought us!" She showed him the packet.

"Where will you plant it?" Wei Ying asked.

"I think somewhere there is enough light, but sheltered from the wind." She jumped up, leading the spirit with her.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan followed behind.

To the left of the cave, a part of the mountain face jutted out, creating a natural alcove. This space had an abundance of sunlight.

"Here will be perfect," his grandmother said. With a wave of her hand, a shovel appeared in her hands and she got to work, dismissing offers of help from the men. When she thought the hole was deep enough, she tore open the seed packet with her teeth and poured the contents into the ground. Then, after she covered them, she poured a jug of clear water over the fresh mud.

"This is sacred water from the Well of Tears." She told them, not looking up from her task.

"What's the Well of Tears?" Wei Ying whispered to Lan Zhan.

He shrugged back, shaking his head.

"What do they teach you in Gusu?" His grandmother scolded.

"Too many rules," Wei Ying supplied helpfully.

Lan Zhan ignored them both.

To their amazement, barely five minutes had passed, yet something green was trying to break free to the surface. They watched, transfixed by the dear little shoot finding its way to the light.

The spirit left Baoshen Sanren's side and sat right next to the green seedling, just watching it grow.

"Do you think all those seeds were just one tree?" Wei Ying asked. "Because otherwise, you might have made a collosal-"

"I'm sure." His grandmother responded firmly.

It truly was a mesmerizing sight. Wei Ying found he could not look away for a second, even though he was joined by Wen Ning on one side and his hand was abducted by a little girl.

"Wow!" She gushed, staring at the mini tree like they did.

By the late evening, the tree was almost fully grown.

"I feel so much better now," Wei Ying's Grandfather said. He hadn't moved from his position next to the young tree.

Wei Ying had noticed that his grandmother had not rung the bell since that morning, and his grandfather had remained in front of them.

"Would you like to stay the night?" Baoshen Sanren offered, looking at the two men. Her grandson was leaning heavily on his husband's shoulder.

"Can we?" He suddenly perked up.

Another disciple came and collected a reluctant Li XiWang to take her to bed. She left, promising to return as soon as she woke in the morning.

Baoshen Sanren went into the cave to prepare it for her guests and then came outside to sit next to her husband.

Lan Zhan took Wei Ying inside. A meal waited for them on a table and Wei Ying skipped to it, smiling eagerly. "Grandmother is amazing!" He declared.

Afterwards, they lay down on the bamboo mat. Lan Zhan curled around Wei Ying.

"What is it?" Wei Ying asked him, sensing his husband had something on his mind.

"Is Wei Ying...happy?"

The question was so out of the blue, Wei Ying flipped over to face Lan Zhan.

"Why are you asking me that?" He raised a hand to cup Lan Zhan's face, who leaned into his touch, the question still in his eyes.

"I...I see you with your grandmother...and she's the only blood family you have. So I was wondering-"

"I don't want to live with my grandmother, Lan Zhan." Wei Ying said softly. "You're not trying to get rid of me-"

Lan Zhan kissed him to stop his babbling.

"Never want to get rid of Wei Ying. Never." His gaze pierced into Wei Ying, who tried to laugh it off.

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry for suggesting it, it was a joke."

"Not funny."

"I'm sorry." Wei Ying kissed him back to apologize properly and soothe the frayed nerves.

"To answer your question, I am happy." He sighed, pouring all his feeling into his expression. "I love you. Wherever you are is my home. I don't care where it is, as long as I am with you. Besides, I doubt my grandmother would have me."

Lan Zhan pulled him close, tucking his head under his own chin, apparently satisfied.

"I love Wei Ying."

"Love you more," was his sleepy reply.

*****

Breakfast was the usual rice and steamed vegetables but this time, it was a grateful Wei Ying who heartily tucked in. They went outside to find his grandmother staring up at a tree full of peach blossoms.

"Wow!" Wei Ying couldn't help but be entranced by the vision.

Almost every branch was covered in the soft flowers, petals floating around them to suit the breeze, already a healthy amount on the floor. His grandfather was surrounded.

The fragrance alone was enough to make Wei Ying gag, but manfully, he hid his discomfort, imagining how his grandmother would laugh at him. It wasn't his fault that peaches had plagued him since they had left.

"I believe that just spending time near this tree has done wonders for him." She was looking at the definitely stronger sight of his grandfather. "And when a fruit actually appears, I'm going to make him eat it."

Wei Ying turned green at the thought.

"We should really get going." He said, hurriedly.

"You can't!" A petulant voice announced behind them.

"Ah, Li XiWang! Have you had breakfast?" Wei Ying picked her up when she nodded.

"We can't stay here forever, you know." He said, gently.

"But...but, you only just got here." Her bottom lip quivered.

He didn't know how to make her feel better. "You know, everyone has places they have to be-"

"I don't care!" She wailed, full out crying.

Wei Ying hugged her tighter, wondering why she was so attached to him, and looking at his grandmother for assistance.

"Alright, hush now. Let's make a deal." He said finally, getting an idea after his grandmother had just shrugged unhelpfully.

"W-what?" She stuttered, staring at him distrustfully.

"What if you came to visit me?"

"Absolutely not!" His grandmother mouthed back, panic in her eyes.

His raised brow said she should've helped when she had the chance, because now the child looked hopeful.

"And," he continued, " what if we write to each other?"

She brightened considerably. "How often?"

"You can write as many letters as you like, and I promise to answer every single one."

His grandmother choked at that.

"Promise?" The child held out her pinkie finger.

Wei Ying wrapped his around hers, touched the tips and made a heart. "I promise."

"Okay then, bye!" She jumped off him, waved and then sped off.

"Where's she going?" He wondered, staring at the dust she'd left behind.

"To write you a letter." His grandmother laughed at his expression. "Remember, you started this!"