Lover has Humour

I raced home and threw my clothes into a bag, gathering everything I could. The night was still early, and with luck, the children haven't told any of the adults the story yet. My father wasn't home yet, still engaged in a meeting with the other men of the village. I still had a little time. 

        Once I had my clothes gathered, I threw my bag over my shoulder and shot out the door, my breath raspy in my ears. This whole thing had been a mistake. I should have never told her story, I should never have fallen in love with her, I should have never...

        The houses and trees flashed by as I passed by nieghbor's houses, my pulse pounding in my ears. If only we could have made it one more night...then Katherine would be able to have everything she wanted. All the talent, all the love she wanted in the world. She was too beautiful to be unhappy. Just one more night...and this nightmare would've been over. 

        Now, we were going to be hunted like animals, burned at the stake. But I knew I could buy her a little time. I glanced at the moon, judging the hour. Just a little while until midnight. Maybe my father would get out of the meeting early...maybe none of the children would tell.

        My heart clenched as I realized Thomson would have to be in the hunt. He would have to hunt me down like an animal, someone who he loved. I still had the shawl that he found for me, wrapped around my body to ward off the chill. But my eyes were dry. I could leave him. He still had a chance for a happy life. Katherine too. My father...the children...everyone still had a chance if I could just get out of her in time. 

        But then the scent of smoke drifted towards my way. I stopped running, turned my head around and saw the flickering flames, my heart thudding loud in my ears. Oh no. 

        I started running back towards home, everything in my soul screaming. Please be alive, please be well, oh heaven's above, please hear my plea. I reached my mouse in double-time, almost tripping in a hole that was dug right in front of it. I slammed the door open, ignoring the heat coming from above, and search my house, noting the holes in the walls, the bottles knocked over, everything ripped up and torn apart. But no bodies. M heart breathed a sigh for a moment, but then I raced outside, tripping over the hole yet again. Wait a second. 

        I stopped and searched the grass near the hole, gasping when I found a shovel. This was Katherine's, her initials marked on the side of it, just like everything she owed. 

        'I'm not used to having my own stuff.' Short laugh. 'I'm so used to stealing for what I want. At least this way I can find my stuff if someone takes it.' She was fingering the initials engraved on the side of the picnic basket. 

        I took her hand and held it, smiling. 'You don't have to worry about that anymore. Just a few short months left, then you can have everything you ever wanted.'

        'Will I?' For a brief second, her near-constant fidgeting stopped. 'I'm worried I really won't, after this.' She sighed. 

        'What do you mean?'

        'I mean, how are we supposed to be in love after he comes?' She said. 'We're more likely to be hunted like animals than to be allowed to live the way we want.'

        'Then we will go somewhere else.' I said brightly.

        'No.'' Her voice was blunt. 'You can't leave your father. We need to call this off, after all, I love you so much more than he ever loved my music. The deal is done.'

        My chest felt like I'd been punched. 'Oh.' I breathed out, standing up. 'I see.' 

        I left without seeing the hurt in her eyes.