▎twenty-one, picnics and airports

Start from the beginning

Amity ran her hand through their hair, biting down on the inside in their cheek to try and stop her smile from growing too much. She smiled, taking a bottle of water from his hand and opening it.

"Welcome to your promised date," Clay announced, holding back his laugh.

     "You're ruining my image," Amity scolded him playfully, taking a drink from the bottle.

     Clay chuckled a little, rising his eyebrow. "Why is that?"

     "I'm supposed to be that tough motherfucker who doesn't give a shit," they answered, setting down the bottle. "People are gonna start doubting that and calling me a simp."

     "Are you?" Clay raised his eyebrow at her.

     Amity never intended to show her surprise at his words, accidentally letting it show on her face. "What?"

He beamed, letting his facade fall away. "I'm only kidding. I already know you're a simp for me," he replied simply, a smug expression wiped across his features as he placed a box of shop-bought cake between them and handed her a fork.

     Amity hummed, pretending to be unimpressed by his words. He slid the cake out of its large box and stabbed his fork into it, beaming off a small piece. Amity did the same, shoving it in her mouth and waiting a moment before speaking.

     "If I'm the simp," they began, swallowing the cake in her mouth and loosely pointing the fork at him, "why was it not me who planned all this?" Amity thought they had silenced him, winning the teasing argument before taking another bite of her cake.

     "Guess I'm more into you than you are me." He shrugged, a smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

     Amity almost choked on what she had in her mouth, lowering her fork and looking at him with wide eyes. They raised an eyebrow at him, who only looked back at her with complete innocence gleaming in his eyes.

     Amity chuckled nervously, nodding. "Only time will tell, Clay."

     This received a small reaction from him, a subtle red tint forcing its way into his cheeks. He fell silent, nod wishing to talk back to them. He took a drink of his water, glancing to Amity beside him.

     They resolved the situation after a few minutes of silence, Clay simply deciding to change the subject completely and to what they should do with their first podcast together. The conversation gradually diverted from topic to topic until there was no cake left and the moon was halfway up in the sky, the pair fallen into a thick yet comfortable silence.

Amity turned their head to the side, looking up at Clay as he propped himself on his elbows. He turned back to her, trying to work out what was going on in her head and if it was even slightly similar to what was racing through his. He had to stop himself from biting on his already chapped lips, instead letting his foot tap against the air.

Amity's fingers intertwined on their stomach, her heart beating out of bee chest. She forced herself to maintain her breathing, to not show the nerves that were racing through her at that moment.

     "Hey, Amity..."

     And then his phone rang.

     Amity felt herself settle a little, nodding her head at him. He withheld his groan as he answered the call, mumbling a greeting George.

     "What the hell are you talking about, dude?" he sighed, scrunching his face. "Why the hell did you call me? I'm busy."