(3) Congrates On Your Marriage

Laith was sitting in his chair with his head lying on the table. He had a glass in his hand which he was rolling on the table. His eyes were fixed on the glass and his head was lost somewhere else.

***

Laith was standing in the marriage hall where Soft music was playing.

Rajjal was standing close to him, pointing toward the bride. He looked at the bride who was sitting across the hall.
“Please excuse me, Rajjal. I'ma go wish my friend.” Laith began walking toward the bride.

The smile he had become bitter as he looked at her.
The bride was looking down at the carpet, lost in her thoughts, she didn't saw him coming.

As he got close, she looked up. Her amber eyes now staring directly into his.

With every step, a memory flashed in front of him.

They were in their middle teens. They were arguing about something at night, trying to keep their voices down. Laith seemed to win the argument.

He took another step and another memory appeared before him.

He was lying in the bed with his head in her lap. He was talking about something philosophical while she was gently caressing his long, brown hair. She was looking at his face and a soft smile was playing at her lips.

More forgotten memories came to his mind.

They were both standing in a corner. She was sobbing on his chest while he was holding her between his arms. He took her head in his arms and looked in her eyes. He gently cleaned her tears and then hugged her.

She saw him coming towards her with that shining smile on his face.

She suddenly recalled his temper and obstinacy. A memory covered her eyes.

He was looking at his phone while she was yelling at him. His face was expressionless. She snatched the phone from his hands and gave him a death stare, expecting an explanation.
He got close to her and towered over her with his tall body.
He gazed in her eyes with exasperation and instantly took the phone from her hand, leaving her furious.

He was now a few steps away from her.

Another memory flashed in front of her.

It was a dark room. She was lying on the bed while he was all over her, looking intensely in her amber eyes.
Her face was flustered. She could smell his perfume. His lips were two inches away from hers. She was holding his head, looking at his face.
He leaned in and placed his lips on hers. She felt a warming sensation filling her heart. She wanted to stop but couldn't. She wanted more of him. He took a second to look at her face.
He seemed tired. His face was fuming while his eyes showed pain.
He again closed his lips on hers.

She snapped from her thoughts as she heard his voice.
“Hello Taaliah, long time no see,” He said in a chilling tone.

His voice was now deeper, his gaze fiercer, his beard thicker and his presence more dominant.

She stood up, faking a smile.
“Hello Laith, how are you?” She could sense the tension between them.

He slowly came near her and looked in her eyes, then he stepped forward to hug her. She was caught off guard, but she just awkwardly hugged him back.
“Cangratulations on the wedding, Liah. I do hope it is what you wished for,” He whispered in her ear and she felt an icy shiver in her spine.

She nervously smiled.
“Thank you, but I am so upset with you, Laith. You came here and completely forgot about us. Never even called once in all these years. Is this how you treat a friend?”