Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 6

~ Fenn ~

"It was just a seam," Soren said, handing my mended sweater back to me. "An easy fix."

"When did you learn to sew, anyway?" Ari asked, looking up from his laptop.

He sat at the kitchen table, writing a 'research paper' and eating his dinner. I sat across from him, completing my very first batch of homework.

"When I was a boy," Soren answered. "My father insisted I learn. He said it was an important life skill every man should possess. I suppose that may once have been true, though I've seldom found occasion to use it."

"Will you teach me?" I asked, sitting up eagerly. I was in the market for important life skills.

The corner of his mouth twitched. "If you wish. But not tonight. Finish your homework, and then I think you ought to... eat again. You look a bit worn down."

Soren and I were both vampires, but while he fed from Ari, I lived on packets of preserved blood. I'd never bitten a living human before (or a dead one, for that matter) and did not wish to.

"How did you tear your sweater, anyway, Fenn?" Ari asked.

I'd told him and Soren everything about my first day at school — except for that. I'd never wanted to keep something to myself before, but I wanted to keep Constant Gray.

"Just an accident," I said, leaning over to fill in an answer on my maths sheet. "It was really a lovely day, otherwise."

I peeked up through my lashes and saw him share a glance with Soren, but he did not press me for a better answer.

Later that evening, I went to say goodnight and paused outside their bedroom door. I had learnt it was better not to enter unannounced — at least when Soren was at home.

I raised my hand to knock, but stopped when I heard their voices from within, and realized they were speaking of me.

"He's holding something back," Soren said. "I don't like it."

Ari laughed. "He came home happy, Soren — that's all that matters. And this morning you were telling me not to worry."

Soren made a sound of discontent. "Of all the things I ever imagined I would do, pretending to be the father of a teenaged boy is certainly not among them."

"Me either," Ari answered with a smile in his voice. "But there's no one I'd rather pretend it with than you."

Their voices grew soft, and I knew my intrusion would be unwelcome, then.

"Goodnight," I whispered to the door, and went back to my room.

~ ❀ ~

By the end of my first week of school, I had learned several important things.

First, each day was much like any other — a great relief, for it meant I knew what to expect. Next, I learned that not all teachers were caring and kind, that I disliked English and enjoyed Art, and that I wished Drama Club met more often.

Finally, I learned that befriending Constant Gray would not be easy.

We shared several classes together, including English and Science, and it seemed the reason I'd not seen him until P.E. the first day was because he had been late.

The second day, he arrived in English after Ms. Harper had already started lecturing, and she paused and waited while he found a desk at the back of the room. He did not limp or seem to be in pain, and I hoped whatever injuries he'd sustained the day before had healed already.