Eyebrows raised and heart racing, I waited for him to elaborate on why he was touching me, not that I was necessarily complaining, but...

"I just wanted to say I was sorry for how I acted last night, and for spying on you while you were singing. That wasn't right."

"Oh, thank you. I, uh...I appreciate that."

His thoughtful look turned into a full on grin and damn if I wasn't starstruck. Did he have any idea what he did to me? Surely he did, otherwise he wouldn't have turned on the charm for what he had to say next.

"Good. I really want to work with your dad as my coach, so if you wouldn't mind letting him know I apologized...that would be really awesome."

His touch no longer seared a delectable path of chills up my arm. No, instead, my blood ran hot as anger sizzled in my veins.

"So, you want me to put in a good word with you for my dad? Are you really sorry, or are you just sorry that it could make you look bad to him?"

Those sunglasses were suddenly off, his face dangerously close to my own and I could have sworn the two in the backseat stopped breathing. Why hadn't they left the car yet? This was none of their business...

"Listen, I've been looking for a coach my entire time in college that was fair and didn't...anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I need your dad as my coach."

I answered almost immediately, but right before it was as if time practically slowed so I could have a moment to collect myself, which was almost impossible while breathing the same air as Eli.

It was like he sucked the life out of everything and pulled it into himself, leaving everyone around him grasping at whatever he was willing to give back.

I wasn't willing to take what he was giving, however, because the reverence in his face, the raised eyebrows, pinched mouth, green eyes dripping with sincerity...I wasn't buying it.

"Yeah. And I need for people to not use me just to get to my dad. That's not really a good look for anyone, least of all you. Thanks for the ride," I said coldly, all emotion ripped out of my voice and soon enough, with one last parting glance at those seemingly anguished green eyes, my feet were on the ground outside and Eli was answering a phone call with a growl in his voice.

I didn't wait to see what Jared and Sara were going to do, instead waving Bea over to help me grab the keyboard from the trunk.

"V, why the fuck is-"

"I'll tell you later."

She raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything to question me, not yet, at least. Her hair was pulled up into a messy yet somehow completely beautiful bun, corkscrew mocha curls flying in every direction as the sun shone directly on her, almost making a halo on top of her head, her brown skin finally allowing a few freckles to peek out from behind it giving her a younger appearance.

Her outfit was similar to my own, black attire with tight shorts, tan tights peppered with glitter and thigh high boots, though hers were red suede whereas mine were black.

Nerves completely shot, I was about ready to sing the hell out of the venue when suddenly Eli's SUV was put into gear, and he promptly spun out of the parking space he'd once accompanied, effectively leaving me, Sara and Jared stranded.

"What the hell? What's his problem," I asked Sara who had only scrambled out of the vehicle mere seconds before Eli's infamous takeoff.

"I don't know, he was just yelling at someone on the phone, and then told us to 'get the hell out' and now here we are. This is so annoying, Virginia. I didn't even want to be here in the first place! Me and Jared are getting an Uber. Have a good performance."