Chapter Two- Some Strange Are Bigger Than Others

Start from the beginning

During launch, I sat alone, waiting for Emma at one of our favorites local cafe, The rising hook. Basically the whole thing was built on the deck of a huge boat, turned upside down like a viking ship. The waiters, and workers here dressed like pirates and the crew on a ship. I sipped on my lemonade looking at my phone, half hoping She would call with news or something, but so far nothing.
In front of me, with his earphones still on and wearing a grey hoodie is my partner from earlier today in class. He looks up at me. I wave at him. Flashing a smile, and doing my best to be friendly, but the asshole only looked away, burying himself back in his copy of lord of the flies text. Damn! He must really love that book.
After a while the door opens and Thayer walks in with Becky and his clique in tow, chattering, a rich whiff of perfume hung in the air. Becky gave me an eye which was my cue to leave. Grabbing my stuff I made it out the door when I tripped over a stray wire or something, because now I was falling hard, hopefully, a strong arm grabs me just before I can hit the ground, when he pulled me up I was face to face with Thayer himself. Well I can see up close what Emma says about him being hot. Thayer had thick black bundle of hair,that fell on one part of his face, chiseled chin,strong jawline,gorgeous green eyes, and pink ripe lips, and his black leather jacket stuck on his built body just perfectly.
He looked like a character that dropped from an Harlequin romance novel, in spite of myself, I found myself stuck in his grasp, his hands was behind me, with eyes boring directly into mine. "careful, its a crowded place."  The guy was telling me.
I watched him walk passed me, with Becky giving me a shrewd look, I only roll my eyes at her before leaving for the restroom.
Washing my hands under the running faucet, I look up at the mirror, beside me in the mirror's reflection is a man with a sinister grin, his eyes glowed red. Hello there. you're all grown up now. I hear his crude voice in my head, different from the one I heard in class, which was a lady's. when I blinked he was gone. A sigh of relief escapes my lips. I turn.
There he is, in the flesh.
My blood races through my ears again, this time he looked exactly the same, like he hadn't aged one bit, I jerked myself back from him, he smiled. No something was wrong. I could feel it in an unexplainable way...he wasn't there. Not really.
"Smart girl,at least a lot smarter than that big brother of yours." He snickers evilly. The nerve of him! I threw a punch at him, and of course my hand went right through him, punching some girl in the face, she had black hair, a nose ring, and wore a kind of native short dress with a flayed denim jacket over it. She also wore a hat which was now on the ground. The monster was gone, leaving a very confused looking girl on the floor. Had he even been there to begin with?
"Ow!! What the fuck?!" she shrieks, her left cheeks pretty swollen and turning the color of an eggplant. I was more mortified than sorry right now.
"I am so, so so sorry..." I said picking her up, gingerly, she was a little taller, and looked like a senior. Oh great! "Um...can you come with me back to my room, let me get some ice on that, please?" I saw hesitation in her crystal blue eyes, as she felt that part of her cheeks with her tongue. All the while standing there with the stranger I felt something familiar, like I knew her somewhat.
She rolls her eyes at me. "Alright,fine."

While on our way back, the skies started to darken instantly. "Is that what I think it is?" she asks. That wasn't right, we were in January, the rainy seasons don't start till later. The girl stops at her tracks looking up, she squinted her eyes as if trying to see something in the foreboding darkness. "Um- what is it?" I ask
"These kids, playing with things they don't understand..." she whispers. "what?" I say. she ducks her head, and positions her hat lopsidedly on her head. There was lightning followed by a bone wrecking thunder, in that split flash of light produced by the lightening I saw Thayer and his clique, with glowing eyes, then their eyes returned to normal.
"What the..." I was speechless, just like those monsters in the woods, that took my brother from me, that still haunted me till now. We had kids here like that. Thayer...I felt sorry for Emma. But he's a nice guy. Was he?
"Let's go, there is so much you're not prepared for. Avery." she says
"What do you..." I froze. "How did you know my name, I don't remember telling it to you" I proclaimed,the young lady donned a smile from under her hat, making her to look like a wicked, bad ass cowgirl.
"With everything that's happening, you're still worried about the littlest of things, really?" She says, I tinker a while. She did have a pretty good point.
"The sisters are lying to you, and so is your mum..."
I turn sharply at her. "Do not talk to me about my stupid mom!" I snap. she sighs. "There are no time left for your tantrums Avery." she breathes tiredly, like a mother trying effortlessly to make her kid see reason.
"You're sixteen now, this is the ripe age for initiation—"
"What the fuck is that supposed to mean, some kind of secret Occult?" I suggested, and I immediately regretted it after she nodded. "You'll need your coven members to protect you." she adds. "from what? Becky and her friends that look like the Bikers from Teen beach movie?" I retort. She stifled a laugh, and I was kinda happy she could laugh, she was so stiff necked. she looked beautiful when she laughed, my heart started to ache in a strange manner.
When we reached my room, she sat on my bed looking around the room with twinkling eyes. Then her eyes rested on Emma's framed picture over my bedside table. Her eyes seems distance. She was having a moment. "you seem to know my roommate. "I say after a long silence, taking a pack of ice from our mini fridge and walking back to her. "Huh? Um...not particularly like that. "why did I get the feeling she was hiding something. she placed the pack on her cheek and closed her eyes to its icy sensation. She moaned in pure bliss. "You know for a petite looking girl, you sure do pack one hell of a punch." I blush. "thanks a lot, and I'm sorry too, I thought I saw..." I was saying, then I caught myself. "Nevermind." She set the ice pack down, glaring at me more intently.
"You can't let a Thinker mess with your head Avery." She says sagely.
"I'm sorry a what now?"
"A Thinker. They are like me, like you. But theirs is the gift of Telepathy." She replies. I squint my eyes, trying to make sense of it all. "Wait like me and you...what does that even mean?"
I Retort.
"We are both gifted people Avery." By gifted she meant cursed. I thought. "No that's not what I mean" she replies reading my thoughts. I glare sharply at her. She smiles.
"You're a..." I froze, pointing at her.
She nods. "Yeah, I'm a Thinker too, I can read minds, manipulate them...make people see things..."
"So right now, you're making me see things?" I retort, feeling a bit scared. She scoffs, removing a strand of loosed hair from my face over my ear. Her touch is very light, I almost feel nothing.
"Please, like my powers could ever work on someone like you." She confesses.
"What?"
The door opens, Emma walks in, walks to her bed cabinet to pick up a few books, and redo her makeup.
"Oh, hey honey, done with class?" Emma starts, facing me while reapplying make up. The girl looks away.
"Um...yeah..." I answer, unsure of what to tell her about the girl sitting on my bed. The girl just stares at me with a conceding smile. Like a she-devil.
Emma walks over to my bed, and reaches over my headrest to retrieve a pen, then she walked off. I was awestruck. Did she not see the girl right in front of her? Or was she she that in a haste?
"Um...meet my uh...friend..." I referred to the girl on my bed. But Emma stared at me plainly, at the angle I pointed, then at me again.
"Made an imaginary friend, that's nice. Don't forget to take your pills sweetie. Love you. Bye." She left. Shutting the door behind her.
I felt a shiver come upon me, looking slowly over to the girl smiling at me.
"She...she...didn't..." I stutter trying to calm my racing heart. She only chuckled, while getting up, and dressing her denim jacket, checking her none existent wrist watch. She clicked her tongue. "Well look at the time." She says. "I guess some strange are bigger than others."
She caressed my face with her right hand, looking deep into my eyes. God she was beautiful. And deadly too. Dangerous and sexy combination like Emma would say.
She started towards my door, opening it.
"The name's Judith, but you can call me Judy. Just you."
I try to speak but can't.
"Please don't take those pills, you can't keep running away from who you really are Avery." She says before leaving, then she peeks through the door to smile again at me.
"P.S:You're the only one who can see me. Bye." She tells me in a singsong voice.
I remain seated on my bed, eyes on the door, and my mouth hanging.