He still had days where he got to hang out with just his dad and Mari hung out with Diego, but he loved reading with her and gardening with her. She let him help in the kitchen since his dad was so bad at it. Mari claimed that she didn't want Christopher to follow in Eddie's culinary footsteps.

He also loved hanging out with Diego. Thanks to the pandemic, the two boys got to spend all of their time together whether it was across the table doing online school or playing video games. Diego and Christopher were practically brothers.

But something worried Christopher. Diego told him about how a girl in his class, Gracie, just became a big sister and how her parents loved the baby so much that Gracie cried during class one day and the teacher had to tell them all about how babies spread love and that Gracie's parents loved her dearly.

What if his dad and Mari had a baby? Would they have time for him and Diego?

He turned to ask his stepmom but a new voice interrupted them. "Excuse me, is this the Diaz residence?"

Mariana stood up, brushing the dirt off her thighs, and offered the woman a smile. One of Eddie's old Army baseball caps shaded her eyes from the glare of the sun and her tank top and shorts showed off the toned muscular physique she had gained from years of working out and carrying pounds of gear. The woman in front of her, however, was dressed as if she was heading to the office.

"Yes, I'm Mariana Diaz. Is there something I can help you with?" She pulled off her gardening gloves and shoved them in her back pocket before adjusting the cap so she could see better.

"Mary Lewis, president of the Homeowners Association. I would shake your hand but...you know."

"Oh, hi. Nice to meet you. My husband and I are sorry we haven't made any of the meetings." Bold faced lie. They just had much better things to do than hear their neighbors complain about fence heights.

Things like napping, getting a root canal, or watching paint dry.

"No worries. They're not mandatory. I just wanted to come by and introduce myself. I also wanted to address some concerns that have been issued by some of our residents."

Mariana frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm sorry, regarding what exactly?

"Just some of the women have expressed concern over your state of dress or lack thereof. Some of the husbands have been distracted seeing you outside dressed like this. We do expect a level of decorum in our neighborhood and I just wanted to ensure that those guidelines are followed. Is your husband home? I'd love to discuss this with him as well."

Mariana's jaw had dropped so far that she honestly could have caught flies. Blinking past her shock, she straightened up and planted her hands on her hips.

"No, my husband isn't home and even if he was, you would not be discussing my outfits with him. Christopher, I think now is a great time to head inside and start on lunch."

"I hope to see you at our next meeting, Mrs Diaz!"

Mariana bit her tongue before she responded with something along the lines of "eat shit" and instead followed Christopher inside the house. He blinked up at her with his big innocent eyes and she sighed.

"I think it's time we have a talk about respecting women regardless of how much clothes they're wearing."

When Eddie and Diego got home, they unloaded the truck and lined up the plants so Mariana could replant them in the spot she prepared earlier. Diego went to go wash up before lunch while Eddie headed for the kitchen where Mariana and Christopher were cooking.

"Hey Chris, go tell Diego what movie we're watching tonight," Mari instructed. "I'll finish this up. Remember to wash your hands!"

"Hey," Eddie greeted his wife, pressing a kiss to her cheek before grabbing a gatorade out of the fridge and taking a long drink from it.

"I just got slutshamed by the HOA," Mariana announced. He choked on his drink and placed it back on the counter, coughing in an attempt to clear his airway. He stared at his wife with a stunned expression and scratched the back of his head.

"Uh, may I ask how?"

"Mary Lewis of the HOA comes by and I'm out working on the garden. She seemed pleasant enough and complimented me on the flowers. I'm thinking everything is going great and then she says to me, in front of the boys might I add, that some women have expressed concern over my state of dress. Are you fucking kidding me? I wear a tank top and shorts!"

"Why are they concerned?"

"Probably because their precious husbands are staring at my ass. Not my fault your husband is a perv, Kathy!"

"Wait, guys are staring at you?"

"Oh, don't you start," she groaned, laying her forehead against his shoulder. "Ew, you're all sweaty."

"Yeah, that happens when you unload a truck in eighty degree weather, babe," he drawled out. He tapped her butt twice and she wrapped her arms around his shoulder, giving him space to lift her up and set her on the counter.

"Okay, ignoring the fact that my wife is being leered at...how did you respond?"

"I told her that my husband doesn't dictate what I wear and then herded Chris inside before I threw social distancing out the window and a right hook. I gave Christopher a little speech on "we don't judge a woman based on how much clothes she is or isn't wearing because that's sexism" but what do I do now? We're in LA. It's hot. I'm not wearing a sweater as I garden!"

"Well, whatever you do, I support you and your slutty ways. Actually, as your husband, I take it upon myself to make it OUR slutty ways."

Mariana slowly fixed a glare on him, her dark eyes boring a hole into his head. He ran his hands down her shoulders and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I'm kidding, sweetheart. But I am serious about supporting you. If you want to attend the next HOA Zoom and call them all sexist assholes, we'll get Hen to make us matching t-shirts."

Mariana finally cracked, a smile spreading across her face. He stole a quick kiss from her and she rolled her eyes but pulled him in for another one.

"Does your truck need to be washed?" she asked.

"Yeah, I figured I would take it through the car wash before work."

"Hmmm, I have a better idea. How about a good old fashioned car wash, bikini and all?"

"Absolutely not. What movie are we watching tonight?"

"Soul. I hear it's really good."

She hopped off the counter to check on the food in the oven. "For lunch, we're having chicken parm because no one can stop me from getting my Italian food."

"Yes ma'am," he laughed. "Let me wash my hands and then I'll set the table."

They fixed up the garden together as a family rather than just Mariana. Eddie claimed it was because he wanted to spend time all together.

She saw him watch any car drive by like a hawk. Idiot, she thought affectionately. Looking around at her boys, Mariana had to blink back tears when she realized that everything she dreamed about years ago on the thin mattresses of foster homes was here. A home with kids and a husband. She had her own things and her own life and she could make her own garden if she wanted to.

No stupid neighbors could change that.

A/N: posting this 5 minutes before I start therapy pls comment on the stuff u love bc I LOVE reading those back and cackling at ur thoughts

also yeah not a lot from the ep here but *vibrates* so much good stuff coming with the finale