when she reached the area of candy toppings and chocolate chips, she couldn't help but reminisce on a memory that had become one her favorites. and one of her favorite people.

summer 2018 - partridge household

"louis! the point of a marble cake is to have multiple colors, then we swirl it all together!"

"kai, cmon we mixed-"

"no, you mixed."

"-baby blue and dark royal blue. it looks pretty fire to me!" louis defended. the batter color had ended up turning into teal, and kaila just ended up keeping it. she just couldn't argue with the boy.

forty minutes later when the cake was done, the two didn't even bother taking the cake out of the round pan, but they just used spoons and forks to take pieces of cake.

"this is so fucking good, gordon ramsey could never," kaila said

louis chuckled while smiling lovingly at his best friend for a few long seconds. "you're too perfect, kai."

that was one of the times she realized that she read the signals wrong. and the day she wrote "baby blue is our color"

but in august 2019, it was later changed to "baby blue was our color".

present

kaila snapped back to reality when chris came into the section she was in.

"kai, you alright. you're staring at blue icing..."

"oh! yeah i didn't even realize. i have to go buy fruit, i'll be back." she said quietly.

"okay, meet me at the register when you're ready."

• • •

kaila ended up just getting a bunch of varieties of fruit because she honestly couldn't think. one thing about kaila is that once something is with her, it never leaves her memory. sometimes she wished thoughts or memories didn't take up her mind but in the end her brain always won. she wanted to get rid of the affectionate and loving times with louis, but how could she ever let go of the memories of someone who made her feel a certain way?

she could never. and she hated herself for it.

• • •

partridge house - current time
issie pov:

"mum, i'm sleeping over at kaila's house. millie is going to be there too," the older sister said to her mother, while sitting at the island in their kitchen.

"that sounds good, love. make sure to send pictures too," her mother smiled over her laptop. "by the way, how is she doing? we haven't seen much of her lately, which is understandable. i really miss that girl, and her song was just so good," she sighed, closing her laptop. "she's like my other daughter."

issie smiled, looking down at her hands when her mum spoke about kaila. it was true, kaila was basically family. "yeah, i miss having our dinners with her, but you know..."

the family almost always had dinners with kaila and sometimes chris. the family were so loving, and always welcomed the two with open arms. after louis started dating lola, the dinners stopped. they always offered it to kaila, but she was busy battling her own mental health, cooping herself up in her room. in london and boston. since then, the family made no effort to even have a dinner with lola. they only made the effort for kaila, but she couldn't ever bring herself up to it.

"hey!" said louis who opened the front door, but it wasn't just him, lola was there too. "sorry, mum, lola took too long learning a trick at the skate park," he said with a playful eye roll then giving his mum a kiss on her cheek.
"so lola had the idea of having dinner here. all of us together, she said she can cook..?" he offered.

issie and mrs. partridge shared a look.

"i'm actually on my way to kaila's house, i'm sleeping over," issie said, grabbing her bags and keys swiftly. "have fun though," she said sarcastically.

"mum?"

"uh sorry lou, i actually got called back into work. they need me for a new last minute project. feel free to cook though like you planned, kids," she said kissing louis's forehead, and walking upstairs to change. she actually wasn't going back to work, she was going shopping.

with that, the two women left the couple. and in the end, lola just decided to go home disappointed that she couldn't even bond with her boyfriends family. she didn't know why

• • •

@issiepartridge

issiepartridge  KAI- BAE MADE HER SIGNATURE ALFREDO AND IM CRYING OF HAPPINESS @milliebobbybrown @kailaevans

issiepartridge KAI- BAE MADE HER SIGNATURE ALFREDO AND IM CRYING OF HAPPINESS @milliebobbybrown @kailaevans

milliebobbybrown YOU FORGOT HER OTHER ITEM!

louispartridge_ you better bring some home 😤

@milliebobbybrown

milliebobbybrown @issiepartridge  SHE FORGOT KAI-BAE's FIRE FRUIT SKILLS!!and the fact that basically sebastian stan & anthony mackie are next to me

milliebobbybrown @issiepartridge SHE FORGOT KAI-BAE's FIRE FRUIT SKILLS!!
and the fact that basically sebastian stan & anthony mackie are next to me...

kailaevans you all flatter me 🥴
issiepartridge we don't do it enough
milliebobbybrown lets drown her in complements
louispartridge_ now where was my invite? 😰

• • •