EIGHT

After overhearing the conversation between Victoria and Savannah, an unsettled feeling grew inside Alan. Victoria was a schoolteacher? Knowing this tidbit about her made him think about her differently. To be in this profession, she must have a very kind and patient heart. He'd seen it while she assisted her friend while taking care of him, but he figured she had done that out of obligation because she was the reason he was injured in the first place. But now...

Slowly, he shook his head in confusion.

Victoria was so very lovely this morning, even though she hadn't brushed her hair or changed her clothes. However, this time he looked past her beauty and peered deeper into her soul. Perhaps he shouldn't do that because it made the rhythm of his heart quicken. It also made him want to take her into his arms and get another taste of the passion they'd briefly shared during the kiss.

"You're out of bed," she exclaimed with a touch of excitement in her voice.

"Yes. I need to gain my strength so I can go home."

Nodding, she held up the bowl. "Then eat your oatmeal. That will help."

He walked to her and stopped. As he took the bowl, he purposely stroked her fingers with his. Sparks of desire ignited inside him, and by the way she inhaled sharply, he knew she felt it too.

"Tell me, Victoria," he said deeply, "are you just being kind to me because you hit me in the head, or..." he paused, trying to word his thoughts correctly. "Or do you genuinely like me?"

He knew her answer by the way her cheeks bloomed with color.

"Alan, I do feel terrible about what I've done to you, and I'll never forgive myself for doing that. However, I do like you very much. How could I not? You're a sweet and kind man, and I pray that you're forgiving, as well."

He turned and walked back to the bed to sit. "I heard you talking to Mrs. Kline just now." He motioned his head toward the kitchen. "I hope you don't lose your position as a schoolteacher."

She smiled and sat on the cushioned chair. "I hope I don't, either."

"How long have you been teaching?" He took a bite of his oatmeal.

"Three years."

"At the same school?"

She nodded. "Yes. Here in Woodville."

"Then I definitely hope you don't lose your position." He took another bite of his breakfast. "I also heard that you are going to return home."

She sighed heavily and her smile disappeared. "I must. Not only do I need to convince the mayor not to fire me, but I need to explain to my sisters why I left."

He arched an eyebrow. "They don't know you came to find me?"

"They don't, because I wasn't sure if I was going to find you. Running across you on the road was a surprise. I was on my way to visit Savannah when we met. Then, when I tried to care for you, I forgot all about my obligations. I fear my sisters won't understand. After all, I'm the oldest. I should know better."

One thing that struck Alan as being odd was that she had indeed forgotten about everything but taking care of him. Did that mean she'd been having indecent thoughts about him? Then again, her response to his kiss gave him the answer he needed.

"I know how you feel. I'd been on my way to trade some furs," he said, "when my wagon lost a wheel and tipped me over. I know my head injury kept me here, but I'd forgotten about the furs, which of course, are probably now completely ruined because of the rain." He shrugged. "Or someone could have stolen them."