First.

"Just take in deep breaths. You'll be fine," Cullen assured me.

My leg bounced up and down as I nervously glanced around the room again. Two hundred. That’s how many people were at the open audition to get the scholarship into the prestigious school, Martin-Grey Academy of the Arts. And only three were getting in. Cullen placed a hand on my shoulder and gave a reassuring smile.

"Calm down, you've practiced a hundred times with me."

"That’s with you, you’re a best friend. These are judges, deciding the rest of my life!"

Cullen sighed with amusement in his eyes.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said as I jumped up from the bench we were sitting on, "Be right back!"

I walked to the sink and exhaled. After splashing cold water on my face, I wiped off my face with paper towel and stared at my reflection. My chestnut hair waved just past my shoulder blades. It was cooperating nicely today, more than usuallly. Actually, my hair was just kind of awesome: like brunette Blake Lively almost.  My bangs framed my pale green eyes, the only thing I liked in particular about my face.  I was wearing skinny jeans and one of my nicest shirts, which wasn't saying much. My family was dirt poor.

That’s why I needed this scholarship so much. There was no other way I could reach my dream coming from the environment that I did.

You can do this, I told myself. Of course you can, you’re Charlie freaking Patterson, and you’ve got the best best friend supporting you and family supporting you too! Well maybe except for Reid. All he does is play World of War Craft all day like a little nerd he already is.

I walked out of the bathroom feeling a lot more confident than I did five minutes before. Cullen noticed.

“Okay… mood swing. But you’re happy now, so I kind of like it,” he grinned cheekily.

I plopped down next to Cullen and he slung his arm around my shoulders. So far only about a hundred or so people had been called in.

A man stepped out of a doorway dressed in all black. “Charlotte Patterson!”

I started walking towards the door with my guitar in hand. Just before I walked in, I looked back at Cullen for some support. He gave the comforting smile that I’ve always loved since I first met him. We became best friends in 2nd grade when our classmates teased me about my choppy haircut my mother gave me after Reid put gum in my hair. Cullen was the one who stood up for me.

I grinned back at him strode with confidence across the room to get to the door. I was positive that I would get in. I would get in. I had to.

I walked to the center of the room, and next to me was a wooden stool. In front of me were three judges. On the far left, there was a young looking woman in her mid twenties. She had dramatic eye makeup on and looked very fashion forward. I suddenly felt shabby with my appearance compared to her. The one to her right looked like he was in his late thirties. He had circular glasses and a haircut that I knew no other person could pull off.

But the guy that caught my attention was staring at me the moment I got to the door. He looked to be about in his mid-thirties and had sharp black eyes. I’m guessing he is the one who was in charge and had the most say in the decision. Butterflies started to flutter in my stomach.

“So what will you be showing us today?” asked the guy with the odd glasses.

“I will be singing ‘Goodbye’ by Ke$ha and playing a song on the piano.”

The important looking one glanced down at his papers with my information. “And you wrote this song yourself?”

I nodded in confirmation.