"Ah, I see. Well, you're welcome to look at my findings, though I'm not sure how helpful they'll be," he chuckled.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Tucker," Mustang said, and the rest of us followed in showing our gratitude.

Tucker showed us first to his lab. A constant low growl came from the cages filled with mutated animals called Chimeras. I opted to stay at the bottom of the staircase, not interested in the physicality of his alchemy. They discussed the Chimera he had made for his last certification, how it had talked, breaching the limits of Chimeras up until that point. The way he spoke about it gave me chills. I got a bit bold as they talked and removed myself from the wall to peek into one of the cages. I wanted to see the things he went on about myself. In the cage sat a large creature that looked like a cat from behind, its long tail swinging against the cage. I squatted to be level with the cage. Suddenly, the animal turned and cawed at me, its head full of flaring feathers. It resembled a parrot, and its caw startled me enough to send me back on my butt. It sauntered to the edge of the cage, sending my heart rate through the roof. It pawed at the metal bars of its confines as it continued cawing, a strained sound. Its red eyes darted around the room, and occasionally, investigated mine. I couldn't help but think the creature looked almost... sad. Its cawing ceased, and it laid down in front of me, gazing intently into my eyes. I started to reach my hand out to touch it, to pet the poor creature, when a voice boomed from across the room.

"Do not touch the Chimeras!" it called. As soon as the words hit my ears, my arm was grabbed away from the cage and I was forced to look directly at Tucker. "It's dangerous. You could have lost a hand." I couldn't speak. My voice had conveniently disappeared as the grip Tucker held on my arm became steadily crushing.

"Ow," I managed. He immediately let go and extended the hand he had grabbed me with. I took it warily as he helped me to my feet.

"Sorry, it's the father in me," he laughed nervously as he scratched the back of his head. "Don't want you getting hurt."

"Thanks," I said half-heartedly.

I looked at the creature that retreated to the back of the cage, besieged in darkness. Ed pulled me aside.

"Marina, what the hell?" he said in a hushed tone. "Are you trying to get hurt?"

"No, I just—"

"Look, just be more careful next time," he sighed. I looked to the floor and nodded as Tucker escorted us from the lab. As we walked through the long and winding hallways, Al caught up to me.

"Are you okay, Marina?" he asked in that gentle tone of his.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that— that Chimera looked really sad is all."

"Those cages were rather cramped looking," Al said, and I nodded.

"Al, can I tell you something?"

"Of course," he said, stopping so we fell just slightly behind the group, out of earshot.

"I know Tucker and Nina. It seems they don't know me, just like you and Ed. But something seems...off. About Tucker."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure. I just get a bad feeling when I'm with him," I said. Al seemed to take my concern seriously, and he digested my words. He hummed as he scratched his chin in thought.

"We'll have to keep an eye out then. As it is, we still need access to his library and research. We'd need something more concrete than a feeling," he said apologetically. I frowned and looked at the back of Tucker. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.