Chapter 6

Coyote Life

Ch. 6

Luna's P.O.V.

Malia and I sat down in our English class waiting for it to start.

“Has anyone seen Scott, Lydia, and Stiles anywhere today?” Our teacher asked.

“Malia? Luna?” We both looked up, “Your friends, where are they?” I looked at their seats and they were empty.

“I could catch a scent.” I told her, she gave me a weird look.

“How about I just mark them absent.” I nodded and started digging in my bag for a pencil when I heard a voice.

“Luna,” I looked up and I saw Malia writing stuff down in her notebook.

“Luna.” I gathered up all my stuff and headed for the door.

“Luna?” I looked at the teacher “Do you need to be excused?”

“Yeah.” I told her bluntly and walked off towards the voice. It led me to a staircase, where I now see Derek at.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him. He just tossed me a jersey.

“Smell this.”

“What's going on?” I asked confused.

“Brett's still out of it. I need to find his pack and warn them about the dead pool.”

“So what do you need me for?” I asked.

“I know a little something about this pack. They have a kind of secret meeting place in the woods. No one's spent more time in the woods than you.” He said pointing at the jersey in my hand.

“This is Brett's” I said.

“Breathe it in.” I looked at him,

“I'm not good at that yet.” I told him.

“Try it, I'll teach you. Focus on the different scents.” I looked at the jersey in my hands and I smelt it, getting nothing but the wood smell. I looked back up to Derek and I told him what I smelt. We got in to his car and headed towards the woods.

~Woods~

I stepped out of the car and I caught a huge scent of something.

“What is it?” Derek asked once he saw the look on my face.

“Gunpowder.” I looked down and Derek did too. We saw a gun shell casing and Derek bent down and grabbed it.

“If Brett's pack is out here, I don't think they're meeting, they're hiding.” Derek and I walked back to his car and got in.

“I'm sorry.” I told him.

“There's nothing to be sorry about. If they don't want to be found, then we're not going to find them. Some werewolves have an ability, a kind of mastery over their bodies, they can actually inhabit their scent.” Derek told me.

“They can hide from other werewolves?” I asked curiously.

“From anyone that's trying to find them.”

“So, that's why nobody knew about Brett.” I asked. Derek nodded his head,

“Same as Demarco.”

“Maybe we need to try something different,” Derek turned and looked at me “Maybe we need to think more like Stiles.”

“Like a hyperactive spaz?” I gave him a small laugh and I shook my head no.

“Like a detective. If they're really Buddhists, then maybe instead of asking where a werewolves would hide, we should ask wh-” Derek cuts me off.

“Where would Buddhists hide?” Derek looked at the compass he has in his car. “When Buddah sat under the Bodhi tree, he looked to the east for enlightment.”

“Is there some kind of eastern point in Beacon Hills?” I asked.

“Yeah. At the Lookout Point.” Derek went ahead and I smelt something off so I went towards the smell and I found Derek looking at something, I looked and I saw a bunch of dead bodies.

“What happened?” I asked.

“I think they might have been poisoned.” Derek said.

“That's great. If assassins with guns don't get to you, then ones with wolfsbane poison will, or maybe one with no mouth.”

Malia's P.O.V.

I was currently with Scott and Stiles looking at the bag of money they found.

“Hey, Scott how long are we going to keep this from Luna?” I asked, and he gave me a look,

“You mean about the money?” I shook my head,

“No, I mean about her real name on the dead pool.”

“I think we'll deal with it when the time comes.” I nodded my head and looked back at the bag filled with money.