xxi. cedric diggory: the memorial, the choice

Start from the beginning

"Then it's set," Vita snapped a finger, making the children look dirtier, more attacked.

"It's best if you go back, Blacks," Mors ordered. Not waiting for a response he swished his hand at them, making them disappear.

"You two know what to do," Vita sighed with a pointed look. They nodded and grabbed onto to 'Cedirc's' dead body, accioing the cup and portkeyed away.

+x+

The students of Hogwarts, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons were sitting in rows, in their uniforms. They were either staring down or at the sorrow looking headmaster of Hogwarts.

Instead of the Great Hall being decked out in one of the Hogwarts Houses, it was grey. The Hufflepuffs were in tears. Some of his (Cedric) 'close' friends were discreetly applying glamours to their face. Cho Chang was sobbing quietly onto Harry's shoulder — Harry trying to keep the sneer off his face. And restraining himself from pushing her off.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss," Dumbledore announces to the grey room, getting up. "Cedric Diggory," he pauses. "-Was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And, most importantly, a fierce friend."

"I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died."

Whispers were going on throughout the hall.

"You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by a fake, a person who was teaching in disguise. His name? Barty Crouch Jr. He had been using Polyjuice potion to disguise as Alastor Moody. Unfortunately, he is still on the lose," Dumbledore said in a grave tone.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think would be an insult to his memory. But do not worry, he will be found," Dumbledore says, a dim twinkle in his eyes.

"Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beats as one," he says wisely.

"In light of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever," Dumbledore instructs, waving his hand over a candle. "Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that," he says somberly.

"And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true to the very end," he finishes, relighting the candle with wandless magic. The students sat for a moment, thinking or murmuring amongst each other before they were dismissed to pack up.

+x+

Iris was walking around the corridors of Hogwarts, savoring every memory. Of course, she just assumed she'll be living on her own while still attending Durmstrang Institute. But for her, Hogwarts felt like home. A place she could call home. Hogwarts was her home, more home than Durmstrang or the Krum's could ever be. She was sad to leave. But she was quickly brought out of her thoughts by Harry Potter. An unknown reason too. He looked rather, giddy.

"Harry, are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm fine, just come with me," he gave her no time to answer and dragged her away. "I just noticed your Bulgarian accent is fading. You're starting to sound more British," Harry pointed out in a ramble.