The Breakout

If you want to see the character info pg go to http://diery.weebly.com/one-story.html and for more info on her go to http://diery.weebly.com/fanfiction.html

I do not own Generator Rex.

It was a dark, stormy night.  Almost all was quiet in Alcatraz Penitentiary, except for the occasional screaming from the insane prisoners and the harsh winds, pouring rain, and the booming thunder that comes with any horrible storm.  The atmosphere felt dead, as if the happiness had been sucked out of it, of course this was the case all the time but this time it felt different, like something was going to happen.

All of a sudden a lightning bolt streaks across the sky, striking an old tree that was just begging to be struck down.  And down the ancient tree went, but instead of toppling down onto the ground it fell on the power lines transporting the power into the island jail.  And as the wires snapped the rest of the tree went down, destroying the generator and cutting off all power to the jail.  And as the power went off you can hear the screaming of the patients get louder, and the cries of the workers giving orders to check and contain the patients.

But one cry went above all else, “Make sure patient 354 is secured.”  The response to this demand was the hurried footfalls of two men over to the other side of the building which housed the more dangerous patients.  And this is where our story begins.

Through the door at the end of the hallway was a brightly lit room, so bright it felt like you were in the summer sun all day.  In the middle of this room was a huddled heap sitting on the floor.  At first glance one would think that it was a jumbled mess of clothes and blankets, but on closer observation you would find a human, a female teenager to be precise.  She sat with her legs tucked in, her head down, and her arms restrained by a straitjacket.  Her long black hair lay tangled across her body.  Her bangs hung loose over her face, shadowing her eyes.

She sat there thinking about what had happened and was happening constantly for so many years.  She thought of the continuous screaming, the tests the doctors put her through to find out more about her powers, and the weekly meetings with the psychologist to find out her past.  There was only one word to describe this place: Hellhole.  This place was and is a hellhole.  She thought that if she could go back in time to change what she did that day she would, in a heartbeat.  The only entertainment she had were the newspapers the psychologist would give her so she would at least keep up with the times.  They would also on rare occasions give her a book or two that would be a mystery or a classic, seeing as how those were her favorite types to read.

As she contemplated this the lights suddenly went off.  After a brief moment of confusion she realized that her prayers had been answered.  She quickly stood up and closed her eyes as she muttered an incantation.  A second after she was done a swirling vortex made up of the many shades of purple opened up.  As she went through the portal she could hear the pounding of feet running up to her door.  They were shouting at each other to step back and keep their guns at the ready.

The portal led the girl outside, a few yards away from the asylum.  She knew that it was only a matter of time before they set out to find her so she had to get off this island before then.  As she ran across the cold, wet ground barefoot, her toes squishing into the mud, she looked back at the fortress that kept her locked up all those years only to find the lights turning back on.  She knew this meant that the back-up generator had finally turned on.  Moments later the mysterious girl flinched in surprise and turmoil as a loud, obnoxious sound rang throughout the island.  This was the emergency alarm that signals if a prisoner has escaped.

As the girl met the halfway mark between the prison and the crashing waves at the shore her ears pricked as she heard the barking of the jail’s rottweilers and pittbulls, and the hurried footsteps of the employees sent to search for her and make sure she didn’t get off the island.

As she got to the shore she got see firsthand the waves crashing violently against the jagged rocks that could probably break an elephant’s neck in seconds if it were unfortunate enough to get caught in the water.  As she imagined her watery demise the dogs slowly advanced towards her as they growled and bared their teeth.  The men stood behind them, their guns up and aimed at her, ready to shoot if they felt threatened.

“Alright, slowly come towards us and we won’t hurt you!” One of the men shouted, trying to yell over the howling wind.  She smirked at their incompetence and slowly fell back off the cliff towards the crashing waves and sharp rocks.  As she fell one of the men screamed “Holy shit.  Someone, quick, grab a line!”

The men looked over the cliff, rope in hand waiting to pull the body out of the water.  As they frantically looked around they couldn’t locate the assumed corpse, when all of a sudden one of the men shouted “Hey!!  Look over there, what is that?!”  All the men looked over to where the man was pointing and saw something flying across the stretch of water to the other side.  “That isn’t what I think it is, is it?”  “I’m afraid so John, come on let’s go back and tell the warden we lost prisoner 354.” said the leader dejectedly.