"We still have your brother's old clothing. Be careful with them" Mum said sadly. My breath hitched. Over 2 years ago, my older brother died in an accident at the city. A robber startled the horses and he was trampled over. I walked into my parent's room where his clothes were kept, and put on his leather pants that he used when going exploring. I then put on his bishop sleeved blouse that was a little big. I tucked it in, and put on my favourite suspenders that he always wore for me. I looked at myself in the mirror, and smiled sadly. For the most part, I looked like a boy. I haven't grown my womanly parts, so if I cut my hair, I would look like a 13 year old boy. I was tall enough to be one, anyway.

"Charlotte!" I shouted as I looked in the mirror. She came bustling through, holding a pair of hair scissors.

"I assume you want me to cut your hair, madam?" She asked. I nodded and sat down on a near by stool. We placed a cotton blanket under the stool to catch all the hair.

"How would you like it cut?" She asked.

"Just like Tommy" I said, looking at myself. She nodded and started off by cutting off large chunks of my hair. I held them all in my lap, and said my goodbyes to my precious h/c locks. After about 15 minutes, she was finished. The bottom of the hair was short, but it faded to be long. The hair at the top fell over my face, but I ran my hands through it and pushed it back. It looked windswept, and I grinned.

"You look just like him" She said, smiling sadly.

I nodded, and twirled around. I then remembered I had to act my part, and cleared my throat. I then spoke in a deeper voice.

"Excuse me Charlotte dear, but I must go and attend the picnic. Do order some male clothing for me while I am away" I said, like a grown up man.

"Of course sir" She played along. I laughed and walked out, wearing his old shoes as well. I ran into the living area where my parents were sitting, waiting for me. I cleared my throat making them look up.

"My, dear! You look just like Tommy" My mum cried, running to me.

"What will be your name, T-y/n" My dad said, almost making a mistake.

"I'll be called Thomas Roberts" I said, smiling.

"Alright then, Tommy! Let's go to the picnic" Mum said, sniffling a little.

We decided to walk there to be more approachable. I practiced walking like a boy, with the coaching of my dear father. On the way, he helped me use male slang and told me all of the rules of the ball games him and his friends used to play. I of course knew them all because I played with my brother. Finally we reached a big field all decorated with fancy lights and ribbons draped on tree branches and tables. I stopped walking, taking in the view. But my awe was cut short when my mom steered me towards the biggest tent in the middle of the field. There sat a man, a woman and teen girl, and a young girl who was running around. We stopped right before we went under the tent.

"Hello Mr and Mrs. Barry!" My father said, tilting his hat in respect.

"Ahh! The Roberts! Hello! I hope you're settling in nicely?" Mr. Barry stood up, clasping my dad's hand.

"Yes, we are settling down very well" my dad replied. Mr. Barry then turned to my mother.

"And what a beautiful woman! Is your husband treating you well?" He asked light heartedly, kissing her knuckles. I shuddered at the sight a little. I noticed the girl did too.

"Oh, yes! He is such a gentleman! We always have a good laugh together" My mom replied

"Lovely! And who are you, young man?" He asked, finally turning to me.