4 - Is getting old

It had been a few days since I had arrived back at Hogwarts. I had just finished Charms with Professor Flitwick. This year I had decided to take three N.E.W.T level class: Charms with Flitwick, Transfiguration with McGonagall and Astronomy with Professor Sinistra. I had also signed up for Potions with Slughorn, Care for Magical Creatures with Hagrid, and Defense Against the Dark Arts with Snape.

After Charms, I would head to the library to finish any homework I hadn't already done and read ahead in my textbooks. I know it's nerdy but I like to be prepared.

I sat down and started to pull my books out of my bag, starting with Astronomy. I absolutely adored Astronomy. When I was younger, I began reading about Mythology. I loved how they created gods and goddesses to explain certain things like the rising and setting of the sun. When I first arrived at Hogwarts, I thought that Astronomy sounded like it would be a fun class to take. After I learned that's what Mythology was based off of, I was sold.

After I had finished with my work for Transfigurations, Charms, and Care for Magical Creatures as well as reading the basis chapter for Potions, I decided to do some light reading.

I walked over to the bookshelves, my hand hesitating over the Intro to Astronomy book, when suddenly someone scoffed behind me.

"Really Potter, Intro to Astronomy. Are you really that far behind?"

I turned around and shoved past Malfoy. I didn't feel like having a conversation with him. Every time we talked I always ended up stooping to his level, which is exactly what he wanted. I began gathering my books and shoving them in my bag, not even taking the time to put them in class order.

"In a rush are we?"

"Yes, actually so if you wouldn't mind moving out of my way..."

Malfoy had positioned himself directly in front of me, leaving me no room to shove past him again.

"I think you owe me an apology for shoving past."

"I'll apologize once you do" I said rolling my eyes. Why was he doing this? He never had a one-on-one conversation with me. I was praying that this wouldn't last long, I really didn't have the patience for him.

"What should I apologize for, you're the one who hit me?"
"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the fact that you bruised my shoulder the other day because I simply wanted to walk away. Oh, or maybe because you constantly berate me because of my last name."

I could see that this was exactly what he wanted. He wanted me to get fired up so I would go off on him. A small smirk began to play across his face. He started to open his mouth, but I quickly cut him off.

"You know what, how about I give you new material, because frankly this whole 'pathetic little Potter' taunt is getting old. How about 'Oh look, it's the Slytherin with no friends in her own house' or 'the girl who spends all her time reading because she doesn't have anything else to do?'"

Malfoys was in utter shock. He had not expected this side of me. I thought that maybe I should stop, but at this point, pissed-off levels were off the wall.

"I mean those dried up old jokes make me want to throw myself off the Astronomy tower. But that's your goal, right. Bug me so much that I can't take it anymore? Well let me tell you something, Malfoy. I live in a constant state of 'can't take it anymore'! But you wouldn't care right! You wouldn't care that every single day, I relieve the excruciating memory of my own parents DEATH!"

As soon as the last words left my mouth, I knew I had messed up. Malfoy stood there, eyes wide and mouth partially open. I pushed past him, already feeling the tears starting to stream down my face.

I ran straight to the Prefects' bathroom, mumbling the password through my sobs. I hadn't really used this one since I became Headgirl.

Thinking about that made me cry even more. That was the first time Malfoy and ever really talked to me. "Really, the blood traitor became Headgirl? I would have rather it had been Parkinson, and that's saying something."

I slid down to the floor, trying my best to silence my sobs. I had never, in my life, told anyone about my parent's death. Not even Harry.