Task One: Where the End Begins - HOGWARTS ENTRIES

Christopher Raleigh TheDarkHorse [5]

"I can't believe that they're forcing us to bring dates to the Yule Ball," I sighed, probably a little more dramatic than necessary. Giving myself a quick once-over in the mirror, I made sure everything was in place. My tie was tied properly, my shirt was tucked in, all that was left was to tie my shoes before I left the Common Room. 

"You're only saying that because you don't have one yet," Leo replied. Although my rant hadn't been directed at anyone in particular, Leo had always been a good listener, and liked to put his own two cents into almost everything. My roommate ever since I had started at Hogwarts, him rubbing off on me was probably responsible for my dramatic sigh. "Speaking of which, the dance is tonight, so if you don't have a date soon..."

"I know," I said, turning away from the mirror to face Leo. Always sort of disheveled, he never looked entirely put together. Even only a few hours before the Ball started, his hair was unkempt, his tie undone, his shirt unbuttoned. I almost had to force myself to look away. "But, I mean, I wasn't sorted into Gryffindor for a reason."

"I've known you for four and a half years," Leo smiled, putting butterflies in my stomach as strongly as if he had used Pappilliovis. "You don't have to remind me about anything."

*

The Great Hall was almost too much for me to take in, especially after the calmness of the boat ride in. Even the loudest kids had been quiet on the way in, marveling at Hogwarts. In pictures, it was wonderful, and, from far away, it looked intimidating. But in Hogwarts' shadow along the lake, the castle was indescribable. We hadn't really grasped just how big everything was until we saw it up close, close enough to see each individual stone that made up the building. The silent grandeur of the castle had done little to prepare us for the Great Hall. 

After the Sorting Ceremony had finished, all regulations seemed to have flown out the window. Sparks from older student's wands flew in the air, our own wands sitting nervously in our pockets. The Houses we had been assigned to have us a new level of separation, and some of the older students told us to make friends within our own Houses, since they would be the best friends we'd make here. 

A boy, one who the Sorting Hat had taken a particularly long time on, sat next to me, a frown affixed to his face. I hadn't spoken to anyone since I'd came in, at least not beyond passing introductions, so I figured he would be a good person to start with. "Hello," I said, doing my best to be heard above all the noise. "My name is Christopher, Christopher Raleigh. Who are you?"

The boy looked up, the thoughtful frown on his face lessening slightly. "My name is Leo," he started, almost nervously as though he didn't think I was talking to him at all. "And I'm a..." he trailed off, glancing at the table next to us. "Well, I guess I'm a Hufflepuff now."

"Why do you look so sad?" I asked, grabbing a hold of a roll from the middle of the table. Mom said that Hogwarts had the best food, and, so far, I had to agree with her. "If you miss your family," I started, spreading a pat of butter onto my roll. "Don't worry about it, you can send them a letter any time, and the owls are much faster than normal postage. At least, that's what my mum said."

"I don't really miss them," Leo said, slumping down on the table in front of him. He hadn't taken a bite of the food that was on his plate, and, if he didn't watch out, someone was bound to take his food away from him. "It's just that they're all in Gryffindor, and I'm the loser of the family in Hufflepuff."

"My mum was a Ravenclaw, and she said that she didn't mind which house I got put into, I'm sure your family wouldn't care that much," I explained. My last several words were muffled by the roll that I stuffed in my mouth, which was absolutely delicious. If all they made for the rest of the year was rolls, I would have been happy. "And besides," I continued, taking a quick swig of water. "Everyone in Hufflepuff is a family, so think of me as your new brother. I'll make sure we get a room together."