Chapter Nine

"Why do you insist on tutoring that nasty boy?!" Sam's mother called after her son as he stomped off to his room.

Sam whirled on her. "He's not nasty anymore, Mom. He's changed!"

"He's changed you, that's who he's changed! He's pulling you back into his trap, so he can bully you even more!"

Sam threw his hands into the air and went to his room, packing a small duffel bag. "You're not understanding what I'm saying!" he cried.

His mother was gracious enough to stay in the doorway. "What's there to understand?! You're becoming one of his play things again! I don't want you going near that boy!" she shouted back.

Samuel didn't bother to reply, shoving past her to leave the house. As soon as he was out, he pulled out his phone and sent a quick text to Trevor.

I'm coming over. Mom and I are still fighting and I'm tired of it. We'll talk more when I get there.

Sam crossed the street for the third time that weekend and some of his anger disappeared when he saw Trevor rushing out of his house, still in his pajamas, and toward him.

"Sam!" Trevor called. "What happened?"

"My mom started a fight with me about you again. I had enough, and I packed a bag."

"How long do you plan on staying?"

"Just the one night, unless my mom decides to get it together and listen to me."

Trevor sighed. "Maybe give me a little more warning next time."

"No promises."

Trevor escorted Sam back into his house, where he was met with a smile from Hank, and a scowl from Regena.

"Back for more, I see!" Hank teased.

Sam gave a tiny chuckle, and groaned when his phone buzzed in his pocket. He pulled it out and gave a worse scowl than Regena. "I'm sorry, I have to take this, he said

Trevor took his belongings, as well as his coat. "Go talk to her," he said.

Sam walked up the stairs as he answered the phone. He didn't even get to greet her before she shouted at him. "Get back to this house this instant!"

"No. You won't listen to me, so what's the point in me having to go home when you're going to start another fight with me?"

"You won't listen to me either, so..."

Samuel crossed one arm over his chest as the other arm held his phone to his ear. "I've listened to you every time you've ranted about Trevor. It's your turn to listen to me. If you can't even do that, then I'm not coming home."

"Don't you dare, act like your father!"

Samuel stomped his foot, his hand moving to his side and clenching into a fist, his knuckles turning white. "Quit bringing him up! I've had enough of him being used as a weapon from Trevor, I don't need to hear it from my own mother!"

He hung up the phone and slumped to the floor. It took everything he had not to let his mother hear the hurt in his voice after she'd compared him to his father. He brought his knees up to his face, wrapped his arms around them to create a cradle for his face, so he could cry.

The door shut and gentle hands caressed his shoulders. He leaned onto Trevor's warm embrace. "She's bringing up my dad they way you did!" he whimpered out.

Trevor held him close for as long as Sam needed him. "I'm here for you, Sam," he whispered. Samuel relaxed in Trevor's embrace, and Trevor rubbed his back. "I'll always be here."