Prologue

A loud siren echoed through the air, those who dared venture out hurried back to the two story building. A safe haven, keeping those that belonged safe from what the siren was alerting them of. Out of the darkening world figures raced, into the building — a church to be exact. Women and children entered first, then the men; a rule that remained for safety reasons.

As the figures entered the church, a woman with chocolate brown hair — dirty and unkempt mostly, though at one time it had been wavy and silky — pushed through the crowd. A single name echoed from her throat ‘Leliana’, over and over again as she searched through the hoard of people. Not a soul answered the woman, her heart pounding against her chest.

She sees the few people who she’d last seen near ‘Leliana’, pushing her way over to the two woman. They seemed to be chatting about something, but that wasn’t the first thing that the chocolate haired woman noticed. ‘Leliana’ was no way in sight still, even when the woman was staring at the two people she put in charge of her. “Where is she?”

“Wh—” The women stopped speaking to one another, turning their gazes to the woman. The one that spoke stared for a moment, before panic took over her expression — look down at her side. Upon noticing that the girl wasn’t there, she turned her gaze to the woman. “I-I don’t know…”

“What?!” The woman boomed at the girls, “You were supposed to be watching her! How could you let her out of your sight? You told me you could handle this, while I helped Dahlia today!”

“I’m sorry.”

The woman turned quickly, “I’m sure.”

Ignoring the pointed glares from the people she pushed out of the way, the woman continued calling for the female she searched for. Her brown eyes scanning hopelessly for the lost being, only to find an older woman standing at the door. She rushed to the woman, who was ushering the followers inside quickly.

“Dahlia,” The chocolate haired woman called out. “I can’t find Leliana! She must still be out there, please, we have to—”

Dahlia raised a hand to the woman, causing the panicked woman to gasp softly before closing her mouth. The woman looked over the younger being, disgust in her expression as she eyed her. “Celina, be silent and swift, search quickly for that heathen you brought into our company.”

“Thank you,” The woman, Celina, whispers. “I will hurry. Keep the doors open for us.”

Dahlia snorts, “Quickly, Celina.”

Celina only nodded and stepped through the doorway, racing down the stairs as the last few people entered the church. Her feet thudding quickly under her small frame, her eyes frantically scanning the streets for the female she searched for. She had to find her, she couldn’t leave Leliana out there like this. She should never have left Leliana in the care of someone else, not one else understood her.

Not like Celina. Celina understood everything about Leliana, no matter what anyone else said about the female. The names they called her at times, especially Dahlia, where not something that Leliana should have to go through — to have to hear. Celina always believed that — Leliana never deserved it.

Other foot steps and sounds began to echo through the air, Celina’s stomach twisted and turned at the sound. The woman’s heart pounded against her chest like a sledgehammer, her legs moving faster to carry her body at a higher speed. Her eyes searched for those dark red locks, that had become so familiar, that single name escaping her lips — panicked and rushed.

“Leliana,” the woman cried out helplessly. “Leliana, dear!”

There was no answer, but silence was the last thing that surrounded the woman. Many shattered footsteps and wailing noises were in the air, which only made her heart pound heavier against the cage around it. Frightened the woman called out again to the female she was searching for, her eyes still scanning wildly for any signs of life.

And that’s when she saw it.

Messy red hair, that reached to about the figure’s mid-back, hung over a pair of small shoulders. A short figure, maybe only three feet tall, was hunched over and kneeling on the ground. A tattered pale blue dress covered the small, pale body of a seven year old — Celina found herself overjoyed.

“Leliana!” She called out and raced to the child, “There you are—”

A gasp stopped the woman from speaking, her eyes focused on what stood in front of the small child. A dog-like creature sat in front of the small child, its eyes focused on the girl and seemed to ignoring the gapping woman. Her stomach turned at the smell of the rotting flesh of the creature, which seemed to be so in-tuned with the child.

And that’s when she heard it. An odd whisper coming from the child, her lips moving ever so slightly. The voice that passed over her pale pink lips didn’t belong to the girl, even someone who didn’t know her could tell — it was soft yet sinister and almost deadly. There was no way, even in Silent Hill, that the voice could belong to a quiet seven year old girl.

“Leliana!” Celina shouted and grabbed the girl’s hand — pulling the red head away, earning a growl from the dog. “Don’t go near that!”

The dog stood and lowered its head, staring at the woman. Its lip curled as it growled fiercely at the woman, causing her to gasp and step back. It only stepped forward, but the child turned her gaze back to the creature. Her lips parted and out came a command that Celina didn’t understand, the dog backed down and took off in the other direction.

“Leliana…” she whispered, “Wh—”

Then a noise echoed through the air, a noise that everyone in Silent Hill knew off by heart. A gasp escaped Celina as she grabbed up the child into her arms, taking off in the direction of the church. That noise, metal against the street’s surface, continued to echo and follow the mother and child figures. Celina didn’t stop, she had to get Leliana to safety.

Celina refused to look back, she just held Leliana against her chest and racing fanatically through the streets. Leliana stayed in the woman’s arms, though her eyes peered over Celina’s shoulder. Her normally dull blue eyes now glistened jet black — the darkness seeping into the white around the iris. Whispers of a foreign speech echoed out from her lips as she stared, though went by unnoticed by the woman that held her.

Celina’s breath catch in her throat as the church came into view, her chest heaving as her heart pounded against her ribs. She was so close to safety, there was even a few men with weaponry standing around the doors. She thanked the God silently as she quickened her pace — if possible — trying to make it to the church before the creature behind her caught them.

“Oh my—”

Her feet hit the staircase and quickly raced up the stairs. She passed the men without a glance, only turning when she was inside. She could hear the whimper of the child in her arms, eyes shifting from jet black to the normal — human — color, but the woman didn’t notice. Her eyes focused on the men retreating into the church with her, but one, one was not fast enough.

Gasps echoed as blood splattered over the forms of those in the doorway, the great knife shoved through the man that hardly made it to the stairs. The child turned to the doorway, her eyes flickering as she watched the man twitch upon the large weapon that the demon held. Cries of grief echoed through the church, the doors closing and ridding those inside of the image.

Celina stood utterly still as she held Leliana within her arms. Her eyes moved to the bloody child, who turned her gaze to the woman. They stared at one another — Celina’s eyes clouded with frighten, Leliana’s empty as they always were. Behind that empty look though was a bird — different yet naïve — caged in a prison it only wanted out of.