Closer

The moods had gotten worse.
Everything had gotten worse.
Steven was made painfully aware how quickly he was losing strength. While he did not fear it to be death, it still hurt, due mostly to the fact that his gem was chipping.
Losing pieces.
Everytime a bit came off he put it in a small paper bowl in his drawer, because that was the only place he could think of on short notice. He couldn't bear to fuse anymore. But he had to leave the house. He had to make sure Connie couldn't win. He could see it in her eyes when he looked at her; she remembered, remembered all he'd done, forcing nothing but more guilt down his throat. Pearl wasn't any help. Garnet wasn't any help. Amethyst was the least help of all.
He looked up from the bathroom sink, staring at his sullen face in the mirror. Tired. The task he'd set out to do this morning was done.
His hair.
He had dyed it pink.
He wasn't sure why. The urge had been so strong and the gems had been so obsessed with making sure he could still function properly that they expected him to do some sort of physical activity. They had been ecstatic to find he'd gone out for a drive.
He hadn't dyed very well; having never done it before. It wasn't pink all the way to the roots and he'd shaved away part of the side, leaving it brown. It was a poor job. But it didn't look terrible.
It reminded him sorely of his mother, but he didn't care, he wasn't her, she wasn't him. Her entire being belonged to him now, didn't it? Did the diamond in his stomach make him her? Surely not, he was his own person. This-
Pearl knocked softly on the door, interrupting his train of thought. He swallowed his discontent and unlocked it, staring into her blue eyes. Her soft voice turned sharp and fearful at the very sight of his hair.
"Oh, Steven. It's... Pink." She mumbled softly, meeting his gaze before quickly looking away.
"Yeah." He grunted bluntly, blinking very slowly. He could feel the need to lay down again. "Is something the matter?"
"We- we called the diamonds," She began, speaking with her hands moving about, "They think they can help with your gem."
"My gem?" He asked quietly, turning his head towards the room where the pieces sat. A small spark of hope lit in his belly.
"Yes, your gem. They're thrilled to see you again, Steven." She looked strained, as if talking to them had done a number on her. Steven sighed. This was how it had to be. Her discomfort with the diamonds was a small price to pay.
"Alright. When do they get here?" He inquired, picking up his jacket from the towel rack.
"A- a few days, at the most. Yellow was previously engaged."
"What? She's getting married? To who, Blue?"
"Um- no, Steven," She cleared her throat. "She's just busy."
"Oh." He mumbled, blushing slightly, realizing what Pearl had meant. "I uh, I appreciate it. Shit's hit the fan lately." And there he stopped. He didn't want to open up to Pearl- yet, he saw clear as day that sparkle in her eyes, begging him to say more. "Uhm...." He choked out, unable to meet her eyes any longer. "Just. Tired all the time." That clearly wasn't enough for her, but he didn't feel like saying more, pushing past her and walking back up to his room. Pearl said nothing, bit her lip, and went back to her business.
He was tired of her being in his.
Steven sat on the bed and picked up his phone, scrolling through contacts, just something to do. Bored out of his mind.
He was startled by Connie's hand on his shoulder.
"Steven," she said softly, holding both of his cheeks with her hands.
"Yeah? Food time or some shit? Tired?" He replied, not sitting up or looking at her.
"What the fuck did you do to my mother?"