Rebellion | Chpt 44

Start from the beginning

Later that day, I packed up my backpack, ready to 'study' with Denki. I started down the stairs, getting stopped by my father. I turned back round, seeing that he had followed down the stairs.

"Where you headed?"

"I'm going to tutor Kaminari," I stated.

"Right, why doesn't he come here?" my father asked, stepping into the lounge. He picked up a blanket, tidying up slightly. From where I was stood, I could see Mic peek his head out of the kitchen.

"Uh...why?"

"You've been missing dinner here a lot," he said. "Have him come and he can stay for dinner."

"...Right, uh yeah I'll tell him," I said, pulling out my phone. I shot Mic a confused look and he just shrugged. That wasn't...suspicious at all.

Me: could you come over to study?
bbdenki: ...uh what now?
Me: my dad wants me to stay for dinner and he wants you to come too
bbdenki: ...does he want to kill me? Does he know?
Me: I don't think so?!
bbdenki: uhh well I guess I'll come over. That's...a damper on what I wanted to do
Me: you don't have to tell me

I deleted our chat, setting my bag down and waiting anxiously on the couch. My father was nonchalant, as tired as he normally was. He wasn't watching me at all, giving me side eye, or anything. He seemed completely fine.

"Dinner for 4 now?" Mic asked.

"Yes," my father replied.

"How come Kaminari is staying?" Mic asked and I listened in.

"Got to really get to know our daughter's friends."

"...right."

"Watch over them."

Oh. It clicked that my dad was wary of the little time I said I would be with Denki. He wanted to keep an eye on us. Of course. I sighed, hearing the door sound with a knock. I started to stand, my father beating me to it. It was strange, why he was so concerned all of a sudden. I had met up with Denki a few times after telling my dad what had happened however long ago. The whole kiss thing. I was surprised he hadn't mentioned it and actually been civil to Denki in class. Maybe Kaminari had been getting into some trouble lately. Hime leapt up onto the couch where I sat and I scratched behind her ears, looking nervously at the door.

"Hello sir," Denki greeted as my father let him.

"Denki," he replied. Kaminari made his way to me, an uncomfortable look on his face. He sat down on the other side of Hime, who looked at him disinterested. He smiled oddly at her and she got up, heading for food instead of the awkward atmosphere. "What are you two studying?"

"I'm bad at math," Kaminari blurted and I cringed slightly. "She's not."

"So...math," my father said, eyeing us. I just nodded and he meandered to the kitchen as Kaminari pulled out math homework.

"Slope is hard," he said turning to me. Now that his back was turned to the kitchen he gave me an emotion filled look.

"Yes, it is to some people. This your homework?" I asked and he nodded. He placed it in his lap and I moved ever so slightly closer to look at it, not enough to raise suspicion. Not too far so that it was obviously awkward and not so close that we were giving anything away. It might've seemed overkill, but my father was very detail oriented. "Okay so you remember the slope point formula?"

"That's the one with y and x stuff right?" he asked. He seemed kind of disappointed he had to actually do homework. This was sort of a way for him to prove how good he could be to my dad, so it wasn't a total waste of an afternoon together.