***

To Aaliyah, the Moore house looked inviting at first glimpse: Victorian, gabled, roomy, with deep porches front and rear. It stood a half mile off the county road, at the end of a gravel driveway, surrounded by one hundred twenty acres of land.

Awe mingled with her growing anxiety. In a few hours she would be face-to-face with a handful of the town's most wealthy and influential people. She felt so far out of her comfort zone, it just wasn't funny. She took a deep breath and shook out her hands anxiously, wishing her body would relax a little.

Sylvia Moore appeared on the front porch when she heard Jason's truck in the driveway, and she came quickly down the steps to the stone walkway to greet Jason and her. She was a lovely, girlishly slim woman in her early or mid-fifties, with stylishly short blond hair, wearing tan jeans and a long-sleeved emerald-green blouse with green embroidery on the collar, simultaneously chic and motherly.

"Aaliyah!"

Jason introduced her. "Lia, this is my mother, Sylvia."

Aaliyah was surprised when Sylvia embraced her, kissed her on the cheek, and, still holding her close, said, "I've heard so many wonderful things about you from my children. Samantha tells me you're the sister she's never had, so I want you to feel at home here, sweetheart. When you're here with us, this is your place as much as ours."

Aaliyah stood stiffly at first, so unfamiliar with the rituals of family affection that she didn't know quite how to respond. Then she returned the embrace awkwardly and murmured an inadequate thank you. Her throat was suddenly so tight that she was amazed to be able to speak at all.

Sylvia stepped back, smiling. "Sweetheart, we have been dying to meet you!" She grabbed Aaliyah's hand and guided her to the broad flight of porch steps. "Come on in. I want you to meet Jeffrey. I'll send someone out for the desserts here shortly."

Sylvia led them into a large kitchen where Jason's father was pulling trays out of the oven. He was wearing an apron over blue jeans and a T-shirt. Now she knew where Jason got his fashion sense.

"Jeffrey, come say hello to Aaliyah," Sylvia said.

Jason's father pulled off his oven mitts and the apron and joined them at the edge of the room. Tall, with graying dark brown hair, he was handsome and had a kind smile, his eyes glittering when they met hers. She saw so much of Jason in him.

"Wonderful to meet you finally. The kids speak very highly of you." He surprised her next with a big hug, then he took one of her hands in both of his, which were rough and work worn, and with feigned solemnity he said, "I hope my son has been nothing short of good when he's around you."

Aaliyah giggled. "Yes, he's a perfect gentleman."

Jeffrey pulled away and clapped his son on the shoulder. "Atta boy!" he said. "Don't lose this one, son. She's a keeper."

Jason looked over to her, smiling warmly. "She really is."

"I hope you like chicken parm," Jeffrey said, easily filling the silence.

"I love it," Aaliyah replied.

"Oh, that's right. Jason tells us you're a phenomenal cook. Damn, I hope this measures up."

Jason took a beer out of the fridge. "All right, guys. Tone it down. Seriously. Want to get some fresh air?" he asked Aaliyah. "Otherwise, these two will literally suffocate you with questions and compliments."

"That doesn't sound so bad," Aaliyah joked. Jason's parents seemed amazingly sweet. She was definitely feeling overwhelmed, though.

"You kids head out to the deck. Lunch is almost ready. Hopefully by then Samantha and Matthew will be here," Sylvia said, motioning them out of the kitchen. Jason ushered her out of the room, his hand resting on the small of her back, and they passed through a large living room and onto a deck that spanned the length of the house, overlooking the beach.